Subject: Game Design: Algorithm vs Play Test rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jensen

Smyrna
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found 7 Wonders to have an excellent balance. I am curious if 7 Wonders had a heavy element of calculation in its development. I can imagine math helped decide what point value to assign each blue card and the totals of the green cards. And how many of each card to (not to) add.

However since I heard how 2F developed Power Grid the connection costs were more or less based on distance. Hence little math involved...

Thoughts? Any quotes from the designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of it, I reckon, was probably assigned values which felt right, and then tweaked in playtesting. I might be wrong, but with something like this, that feels like the correct way to do things. Lots of games, change the values up or down as you see what works or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shima Tetsuo
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I followed Antoine Bauza on Twitter, I read one time that he playtested again, again and again when he was completing Cities...
That's also how I did for doing my wonders : playtesting, change some values, playtesting and so on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.