Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all! Bought the game during the FFG holiday sale. I'm really looking forward to play it and i'll probably do in a few days.

After reading most of the rules (chaotic rulebook this one) I have a really hard time understanding this rule.

From what I understand it's when you place an Order card on the Strategic Map with the appropiate action, you can't use the Order until the next change of initiative?!!??! Why?

For me it's one of the most counter-intuitive rule i've read in a long time.

I'm asking you HH veterans, please explain to me this rule so I can understand it's purpose and meaning...

Thanks a million to you all and happy holidays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you could play an order from the strategic map on the same turn you placed it, there would be little reason to play 3-cost initiative cards from your hand, since you'd only be paying a maximum of 2.

Equally, forcing you to program your moves in advance gives your opponent the ability to bury your orders beneath theirs - stack management is a major part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:
Hi all! Bought the game during the FFG holiday sale. I'm really looking forward to play it and i'll probably do in a few days.

After reading most of the rules (chaotic rulebook this one) I have a really hard time understanding this rule.

From what I understand it's when you place an Order card on the Strategic Map with the appropiate action, you can't use the Order until the next change of initiative?!!??! Why?

For me it's one of the most counter-intuitive rule i've read in a long time.

I'm asking you HH veterans, please explain to me this rule so I can understand it's purpose and meaning...

Thanks a million to you all and happy holidays!

Hiya David! The reason for this rule is to prevent playing an Order Card with a high Initiative cost for 1 Initiative point.

Don't worry -because once u got a couple of games under ur belt, it'll all make sense. Hope you enjoy the game, and Merry Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both of you for the answer. I get why this rule is there and since I didn't played the game yet it's really confusing.

Maybe after a couple of plays it'll all get together and i'll get the meaning for it. Theorically I can see why it's there (prevent playing high initiative actions for less) but i'll clearly understand the purpose after actually playing the game!

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since ur new to the game, I'd also like to add a quick word of advice:

Prior to playing ur 1st game, take the time to read the rulebook at least twice. The reason I say this is because -although well written (mind you, some may disagree); HH is a bit rules heavy, and you may find yourself flipping back to the rulebook more often than necessary, thus creating down-time and possibly a poor opinion of the game.

But trust me, once you got at least 3-4 plays under ur belt; the beauty of HH will shine brightly cool!

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The traitor is allowed to play straight on the stratmap on his first turn, the cards he placed during setup. Drop pods and port landing.

If you allowed direct play of cards on the stratmap, emperor could assemble on the palace, board the vengeful spirit and kill horus right at the beginning of the game. Waiting for iniative change means you need carefull planning, and an unsuspecting traitor player. You will need at least 3 initiative to A/BA/Assault on the vengefull, wich is rare, unless you can force traitor iniative counter forward during combat to gain enough initiative, or by event.

edit for clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.