8 Posts

Qwirkle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Honesty (determining start player, no available moves in endgame) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E. I.
msg tools
Hi.

#1. After drawing the initial hands of 6 tiles, how to treat lying about the length of one's longest word?

In a friendly game, you can trust each other to name the actual length, but this doesn't work for tournaments. Subsequent plays tend to be worth more than the first play, so the incentive to lie may be there. Revealing all hands seems to be the only method to ensure correct choice of starting player.

#2. When the bag is empty, players must place tiles on their turn. If a player claims that he doesn't have a legal play, should he reveal his hand? This makes a difference in games with three or more players.

#3. Not honesty-related, but concerning other minor holes in the rules.
a) Consensus on this board seems to be that if the claim (from question #2) is accepted, the player may skip is turn. Has there ever been an official ruling?
b) Have there ever been official rulings about whether "everybody still has tiles, but no more table plays are ever possible" is a draw, or a game ending with/without 6 points for last play?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
#1: You have to play the tiles of your longest chain, if you declare it. So it's obvious if someone is cheating if they don't play the called amount of tiles.

#2: i would say "no", you shouldn't reveal your hand. As other players lay doen tiles, a valid move might come up that you can play on a subsequent turn before the game ends.

#3: I would agree that the player should skip their turn until a legal move comes up or the game ends. I would also say the game ends without a player gaining the 6 point bonus. Of course, these are my opinions and not official rulings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. I.
msg tools
> #1: You have to play the tiles of your longest chain, if you declare it.

For #1, I mean declaring less playable tiles than your largest chain, which is not allowed. (If you actually declare your largest chain, but then play fewer tiles than it, it's obvious, as you say.)

I agree with your rulings on #3, I deem them closest/most natural with respect to the rules' wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Don't play games with people that cheat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. I.
msg tools
I expected this reply somewhat, and it doesn't help in tournament situations nor in nerdy discussions.

As already said, in almost all the cases, one will trust the other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.C. Tsistinas
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
Make Your Own Dice Tower Review: 1. Spill all of the pieces onto a table. 2. Rearrange the pieces, ignoring most of the setup instructions. 3. Say you don't like the game because it makes you think too much.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be curious to see a board state with no legal moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
I'd be curious to see a board state with no legal moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eiderdaus wrote:
In a friendly game, you can trust each other to name the actual length, but this doesn't work for tournaments.

Tournaments generally have non-playing judges or arbitrators, to prevent cheating of this type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.