6 Posts

War of the Ring: Lords of Middle-earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gothmog Confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Simonds
msg tools
mbmbmb
page 26 says that Gothmog's die is removed if...

"Either its Army result or its Eye result (which show the remove symbol) was chosen and the Witch-king (any version) is in play, OR

The Witch-king, the Black Captain is in play."

I don't understand why the first part says "Witch-king (any version)" - why doesn't it just say "The Witch-King, Chief of the Ringwraiths"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it might be considered unnecessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because ares already knew a second version of the witchking was comming out in the expansion. By adding the any version it clears up any rules lawyers issues.

Forward thinking company..i like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwang Il Kim
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
quarmix wrote:
page 26 says that Gothmog's die is removed if...

"Either its Army result or its Eye result (which show the remove symbol) was chosen and the Witch-king (any version) is in play, OR

The Witch-king, the Black Captain is in play."

I don't understand why the first part says "Witch-king (any version)" - why doesn't it just say "The Witch-King, Chief of the Ringwraiths"?

b) if a result with a remove symbol is chosen and the Witch-king is in play, or
c) if any result with/without a remove symbol and The Black Captain is in play
Gothmog's die will be removed.

But the die won't be removed from the game only if you choose a die without a remove symbol and the Chief of Ringwraiths is in play.

So the presence of the Black Captain always removes Gothmog' die while the Chief of Ringwraiths only does with a die result showing a remove symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm Human, I promise!
badge
Lies, I'm totally a Cylon!
mbmbmbmbmb
The text is identical to the same condition for the Balrog, and it includes the possibility of future iterations of the Witch-king.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think there is also a small clarifcation in that if you have both Balrog and Gothmog in play the only way that the Balrog die leaves play is if it was chosen and the action had the remove symbol.

However since according to the rule book you recover all available special action dice during the recover action die step the wording means that you didnt have to choose gothmogs die but it is eliminated anyway.

Read the rulebook carefully on the 2 characters and you will see the difference.

Gothmogs die does not last once the WK:BC is in play however it will last if the action does not have the remove symbol when WK:CotR is in play.

The BR on the other hand doesnt care which WK is in play it is only removed when the remove symbol is "chosen" as the action die for the turn.

Its a very odd way to state the rule on the card but reading the rulebook makes it more clear. (And yes it opens the possibility for other non WK:BC options) It probably could have been stated without the (any version) making it more complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.