Subject: 1960 Making of the President: Tricky Dicky card question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Parker
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
The Tricky Dicky card says 'player loses a momentum and can pick a card from the discard pile and play it's event.' I played this card with no momentum to lose and my opponent said that to get it's benefit I need to have a momentum to lose, if I could play it without losing the momentum its too good.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From that wording it sounds pretty clear that losing the momentum and playing an event from the discard are two unrelated effects of the event. So you only lose momentum if you have it, and you get to play the event from the discard regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
From that wording it sounds pretty clear that losing the momentum and playing an event from the discard are two unrelated effects of the event. So you only lose momentum if you have it, and you get to play the event from the discard regardless.

That's how I would play it as well. Been a while since I've played though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Burbank
ca
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right - you played the card at a well-chosen time. The two effects are not related in an "if...then" kind of way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parker
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
My friend would not be happy about this, he's convinced you must lose the momentum to gain the benefit of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to agree with the rest; sorry for your friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.