Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite my last post, the game is actually pretty simple to pick up and play... So much so, in fact, that I managed to convince my non gaming family to play. (It was this or cosmic encounter, so they all went for this!)

It was simple, quick, and light hearted... People had fun. But it was not immediately clear where the strategy lay. It basically seemed that people played to convince the sg to put good colors for the, on the board, and not much else.

A couple of thoughts, from a first play:

- People understand how to bribe the sg to put down colors they wanted, or to leave them off. But beyond that? Unclear. Should you pay to stop others getting what they want? ( Especially when it's not clear what that is.) people played it pretty simple.
- no one ever bribed anyone to vote for, against or abstain. Only the sg got bribed to alter the resolution. People fought for the resolution, and then voted for the resolution (or vetoed)
- it's billed as pure negotiation, but there is a certain amount of luck, as the random turn by turn objectives make a huge difference to how easy it is to play them. How much that luck determines the winner, over a five round game, I am not sure.
- the theme tends to disappear. It's basically a vote for colors.
- on the first play through, not always clear how to balance the hidden agenda and turn by turn objectives.
- it seems there is an underlying maths here, which I don't fully appreciate yet, but mastering it would give players a significant advantage.

I feel there is much more room for gameplay than we immediately saw, but at its heart I see this as a fairly light, casual game. Nothing wrong with that of course! But would be interested to see how it might become more devious, and pointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

- it's billed as pure negotiation, but there is a certain amount of luck, as the random turn by turn objectives make a huge difference to how easy it is to play them. How much that luck determines the winner, over a five round game, I am not sure.

I don't think luck plays as big a role as one might think. When we played it, I ended up with very lucky agenda draws each turn. At no point did my secret agenda collide with the colours I had drawn.

Another player had 4 out of 5 turns, where his turn objectives effectively cancelled each other out.

He won with a 5 point-lead and I came in second. And that only, because I was the only one at the table actually playing towards my secret agenda and managed to pull in 15 points at the end of the game.

The turn objectives are really just more of a help to guide your negotiations each turn. It's the bribes that carry the weight, and those are fully in the hands of the players themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.