Battlestar Galactica: Exodus Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: If there could only be one..... Exodus or Pegasus? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Kenney
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
My amazing girlfriend just gave me BOTH expansions for Battlestar Galactica for Christmas. I've done some reading of Amazon on BGG reviews and it seems most people don't like to/have a hard time combining the two sets. It seems they both work relatively independently of each other.

I am thinking I would like to return one of the two towards a different Boardgame, and keep the expansion people tend to prefer. By rating, that would be Exodus but I'd like to hear your opinions as to why if I could.

It seems like Pegasus is the meatier of the two expansions, but if Exodus just plain works better, gameplay is always priority. Thanks in advance for helping out a BGG newbie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions don't work flawlessly with each other but they both offer a lot of fun elements that I wouldn't want to pass up. If you have a regular BSG group I'd keep them both but if you don't play all that often then you probably don't need the expansions in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dareitus wrote:
My amazing girlfriend just gave me BOTH expansions for Battlestar Galactica for Christmas. I've done some reading of Amazon on BGG reviews and it seems most people don't like to/have a hard time combining the two sets. It seems they both work relatively independently of each other.

I am thinking I would like to return one of the two towards a different Boardgame, and keep the expansion people tend to prefer. By rating, that would be Exodus but I'd like to hear your opinions as to why if I could.

It seems like Pegasus is the meatier of the two expansions, but if Exodus just plain works better, gameplay is always priority. Thanks in advance for helping out a BGG newbie!

I feel that Pegasus is "more of the same." It does introduce some new concepts in particular the Cylon Leader, Executions, and the New Caprica Location. But when you boil it down, it is just more locations, similar encounters, and nothing to stretching. Some l;ike it that way, myself included.

Exodus seems more to turn things around quite a bit. Allies is a big concept change and the whole crossroads reconciliation. Different loyalty cards. A whole new way to go about Cylon attacks. It took me a long time to appreciate this expansion.

I would advise keeping both as they can be integrated together. Plus you have the option of playing with one in one session and the other in another. We are planning a marathon run of 3 games back to backeach introducing a new expansion in at the conclusion.

But if you are set on returning one, it really is what you prefer to get out of it. More of the same with a few new twists, Pegasus is your destination. Turn the game around quite a bit, then head for Exodus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sansone
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would keep both, but if you have to choose, keep Exodus. The Cylon Fleet Board is a great balancer and keeps the tension there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
There are people who complain about the expansions, sure. But you should know that there are also plenty of us who play with both expansions and most options and have a blast. They work great together, particularly with people who have experience with the base game.

If you really want something else way more, return Exodus and play with Pegasus for a while then pick up Exodus later (in any case I like introducing P to a group and then E just as an order thing). But if your main motivation is a perception that "most people" don't like the play with both expansions, I think you should keep and play with both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Exodus + Base without Pegasus?

Hope you turn Cylon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
Playing Exodus + Base without Pegasus?

Hope you turn Cylon.
Likewise, hope you're human if playing with just Pegasus + base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rski McPark
Finland
flag msg tools
I actually like mix three of them, basegame+
Pegasus
- no Caprica, we havent used cylon leader but we will give it a try when we get 7 players
Exodus
- cylon fleet, be havent mixed other new rules

Theše work in our core group but I quess you can find different working combo. We like to keep game smooth and Carprica didnt just fit in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
D'Anna's Favorite Human!
badge
D'Anna's Favorite Human!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only incompatibility between the expansions is between New Caprica and Ionian Nebula, both of which are optional. I've played several times with both expansions, and I've still never played with either New Caprica or Ionian Nebula, but I would like to try both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Treachery, Pegasus Ship + Cylon Fleet board = not overbearing and the best of both expansions. Keep them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My group always plays with both without many problems. I would recommend keeping both.

However, if you're determined to keep only one, I would say keep Exodus. The Cylon fleet board gives the Cylons something interesting to do after they are revealed. Also, it makes the pilots more important than without it. The Ionian Nebula in Exodus is much more interesting than the Caprica scenario in Pegasus.

Plus, with Athena/Boomer on the cover of the Exodus box, the game is much more attractive. I've put the base game+Pegasus+Exodus in the Exodus box. Exodus is a must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
The expansions don't work flawlessly with each other but they both offer a lot of fun elements that I wouldn't want to pass up. If you have a regular BSG group I'd keep them both but if you don't play all that often then you probably don't need the expansions in the first place.
Worth mentioning for that matter is none of the combos work flawlessly... base game only has issues.

Adding Peg fixes some of the issues in the base game, but then adds new issues.

Playing with Exodus and Peg fixes some issues of previous, but that also adds new issues that only occur with both exp.

I don't play with just Exodus alot, but I can already think of a few issues there.

Long story short, you're not gonna have a picture perfect game of BSG, but overall, it's still great fun.

EDIT: clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
This too shall pass.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep Pegasus for the plastic basestars.

My view is: if you like the basegame, keep Pegasus -- adding it does not make the base game better, but it keeps the whole feel of the game intact. If you think the base game is just so-so, try out Exodus, because it really changes the game a LOT -- I personally think it sucks, but it has a lot of vocal supporters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Keep Pegasus for the plastic basestars.

My view is: if you like the basegame, keep Pegasus -- adding it does not make the base game better, but it keeps the whole feel of the game intact. If you think the base game is just so-so, try out Exodus, because it really changes the game a LOT -- I personally think it sucks, but it has a lot of vocal supporters.

Just don't do one or the other.... returning a copy of Pegasus without the plastic basestars will be hell to pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two big modules of Exodus both change BSG into something else. Also, there isn't a single component of it that doesn't have some balance issues.

Pegasus isn't perfect, but I wouldn't hesitate a second choosing it over Exodus. Not everything works perfectly, but a few elements are just straight improvements over the base game. (new Investigative Committees, plastic basestars, Cylon Location overlay.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal Rex wrote:
The two big modules of Exodus both change BSG into something else.

Correct, into another type of BSG game. Not necessarily worse or better, just different. If you don't want another game to play, don't add the expansions.

(In our case the game becomes better, because CFB fixes the two things I/we most hate about the base game: 4 CAC cards in a row makes a game end abruptly, and you have no real need for pilots in the base game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
(In our case the game becomes better, because CFB fixes the two things I/we most hate about the base game: 4 CAC cards in a row makes a game end abruptly, and you have no real need for pilots in the base game.)

4 CAC in a row is just about okay - either it's all over very quickly, or you survive and, generally, humans go on to win. The real killer for non-CFB games is the games where, once you jump, you never see another basestar for the rest of the game, and spend 3 hours with the Cylons in an unwinnable position and the Humans coasting to a boring victory.

On the original topic, it's entirely possible to combine New Caprica and Ionian Nebula - play with trauma and allies until distance 7, set up the battle and play out Crossroads, then move Civilians and players to the New Caprica board and play it out as usual. Morale is going to get hammered, but apart from that it's entirely doable.

The major difference between the two expansions is that Pegasus is all-or-nothing, while Exodus is designed to be rather more modular - in principle you could use Cylon Leaders without going to New Caprica, but that leaves the agendas rather unbalanced...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
The major difference between the two expansions is that Pegasus is all-or-nothing, while Exodus is designed to be rather more modular - in principle you could use Cylon Leaders without going to New Caprica, but that leaves the agendas rather unbalanced...
You don't play NC without CL either?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
You don't play NC without CL either?

I don't. On the other hand, I only play once every couple of weeks, so, in this case, it's not due to principle so much as that it's just not yet come up.

Heading to NC with 4/6, but without a Leader, I'd use Sympathetic Cylon. 5 player, I'd probably advise against a Leader anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.