Brandon
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, so I finally got a full play in with Untold Stories. I had read through the rulebook some time ago but never had a chance to really even try the game despite throwing up a test scenario of my own. So today, Dec. 25th, the recon elements of Dutch and Polish forces clashed.

Since it was my first play of the World at War system I know I got a fair amount of rules wrong and thus many mistakes were made. Command and Control and the use of LOS were the two main issues that plagued me the whole session. But, overall I had a lot of fun.

Dutch Deployment with the HQ and Lynx platoon in the center behind the trees (are they protected from LOS?). The red lines indicate the planned advance of the Polish recon units :

Polish forces push through Grande toward Witzhave while a southern prong advances through the woods hoping to flank the Dutch. A Polish T-55 platoon comes under fire from a AMX-13 sitting on the opposite side of the Witzhaven bridge. As the T-55 plt. is engaged the T-55 plt. and attached HQ unit behind them spot a portion of the Dutch frontline in Heidberg:

A Dutch F-16 makes a successful attack run on the T-55 plt. before returning to base:

After the F-16 leaves the area, MiGs show up to provide air cover for Polish forces. Below them, the southern thrust is stopped cold but not before a PT-76 plt. radios the coordinates to a portion of the Dutch frontline seen at the treeline opposite Heidberg. (You can notice that I remembered to use "Ops Complete" markers by this point lol.):

The Poles, realizing they're making no progess on Witzhave decide to redeploy to the north (top of the pic). Their intent is to advance through the woods with infantry while their remaining T-55 plt. with the HQ and the BMP-1 plt. advance on Rausdorf [long dotted lines indicate the T-55 & BMP-1 platoon movements and the short dotted line is the infantry]. By this point they had already successfully spotted 1 or 2 positions of the Dutch frontline. (I forgot which turn this was in [5 or 6] and you can see I remembered to include the "Out of Command" markers having completely forgotten about the HQ/Command effects.):

In response to the Polish movements, the Dutch react with the northern AMX-13 plt. moving south in an attempt to interdict the Poles while the M106 plt. moves north from the Dutch side of Witzhaven. [Solid lines indicated the Dutch moves.] In the south the remaining PT-76 plt. gets its feathers ruffled by the lone AMX-13 plt. guarding the Dutch's entire southern flank:

The Polish infantry disembark from their BMP-1s only to get blasted by HE artillery called down by the M106 plt. They take casualties. (Not sure if I did this one right tbh. I wasn't sure if LOS was blocked by the T-55s or not.):

[My pictures get a little confusing about this time. The games is currently around turns 6-8... or.. whatever]

A D-442 fug plt. tries pushing forward in the center while the remaining T-55 plt. and HQ move down from the northern road to provide support [marked by the Ops Complete]. The Dutch HQ unit and attached Lynx plt. moved up toward Rausford and was spotted by the Poles. [Red lines denote Polish movements and the orange denotes the Dutch]:

With a well aimed shot, the southernmost Dutch unit puts the D-442 fug plt. out of commission. (Was the LOS of the AMX-13 legitimate here?? I figured the AMX-13 was on high ground and could see past the few houses on the edge of Witzhaven. I also just remembered the hill is wooded thus making the AMX-13 unable to shoot huh modest):

The Poles call in smoke to cover the infantry's advance into the woods. Meanwhile the HQ and Lynx plt. move into Rausdorf proper:

Not long after the BMP-1 plt. moves into Witzhaven while the T-55s put pressure on Rausdorf. The BMP-1s reports seeing movement in the woods near the M106 plt. Unbeknownst to the Poles, a Dutch AMX-13 plt. had moved into the northern part of Rausdorf and engages the T-55s to the surprise of the Poles:

The BMP-1 plt. penetrates deeper into Witzhaven only to get pasted by mortar fire from the M106 plt. which vainly tries to disrupt its movement:

Soon after, the fighting dies down and the Poles achieve a minor but costly victory over the Dutch forces:

I hope everyone enjoyed the report. It was a bit shaky and I'm pretty sure I left out a few things rules wise so if anyone notices anything funny do point it out to me. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Dabros
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the nice session report. The photos really helped visualize the ebb and flow of the battle. And don't worry about a few rule tweaks getting in the way of a good narrative!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oddball_54 wrote:
Thanks for the nice session report. The photos really helped visualize the ebb and flow of the battle. And don't worry about a few rule tweaks getting in the way of a good narrative!
I'm glad you liked it! I like visuals in AAR's so I try to take as many pictures of the action as I can (thank god for cell phones and their cameras!).

And I try not too but I also want to play the game right which would help add more to the narrative.

Thanks for reading
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan N. "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! Question, after they started using separate boards how do you keep track of the turn number? Ive been thinking I'll just use a D20 to do so but am curious if anyone has any nifty ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Very nice! Question, after they started using separate boards how do you keep track of the turn number? Ive been thinking I'll just use a D20 to do so but am curious if anyone has any nifty ideas.
You know something, I had actually never thought of this. I just sort of played and kept track in my head. This method would make things so much easier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
ep I use a dior run a counter down the hex row on an edge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.