Subject: Dixit on Christmas Eve rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jann Beckers
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our tradition for Christmas Eve is to go to my in-laws for dinner and presents. My girlfriend's grandparents are always joining too. They are getting quite old and are suffering from some health problems. They also want to drive back home around 10pm because they have a 45-minute drive (which is a lot for Belgian standards) and don't want to stay up too late. That means dinner is always moving on very smoothly and by 9 pm we are done stuffing ourselves full of delicious food. Time for games! Normally I have the honor of making a quiz (5 rounds of 10 questions and some riddles, puzzles etc.). But this year I was too busy the days before Christmas to come up with some decent questions and I decided to go to my local boardgame shop for a party game.

Now, my family-in-law is not really of the boardgaming type (except my brother-in-law). So I had to come up with a game for all people. After doing some research (thank you BGG!) I thought Dixit was the perfect family party game, and decided to buy it. I bought Dixit 2 as well because of the additional cards. I did not buy Odyssey because I learned from BGG that the card art is a little bit inferior to the original, and if there would be more than 6 players, I decided that we could make teams.

I don’t get my girlfriend to play a lot of games with me, she especially likes games with dice, luck, plain party games etc. whereas I am more into strategy games of the heavier kind. So I was a little anxious when I started unboxing Dixit on Christmas Eve in the living room while everybody was watching. Would they like it?

Turns out… they REALLY liked it!

I started with an example turn to explain the rules. I used this card:

I used the expression: the world is waiting, and explained that everybody should look for a card in their hand that matched best with this expression. The rules are not really difficult, so we were set up for the real stuff in no-time. Only my father-in-law had some trouble understanding what the voting tiles were for. An engineer, mind you! (Well I am an engineer as well...).

After dealing everybody six cards, everybody was in awe of how beautiful the cards were. Dixit – in-laws: 1 – 0.

What followed then was a round of fun in which we all learned new things about each other and how everybody interpreted some images. My favorite turn was where my father-in-law put down a card on the table and told us with a poker face that the description was: the f*rt place. These were the cards on the table:

Turns out that the top left card was his card . Apparently, when my father-in-law was young, and everybody sat down for dinner, they were not allowed to you-know-what (duh), but they were allowed (if they could not hold it) to open the door to the next room and “put it” there with their bottoms through the door. HAHAHAHAHAHA. We were all ROFL’ing.

Another remarkable turn was where my mother-in-law gave away Christmas as description:

She told us some story about green color, about being a light for people, about the four weeks before Christmas (advent) etc. Everybody was really surprised that she came up with a story like that and that card no.3 was the card we were looking for. So she turned out to be not so literal as everybody expected her to be!

I am not going to describe all turns, but here is another description I liked: Clockwork Orange

Other cool moments:
-My father-in-law wanting to play again after someone hit 30 points;
-My girlfriend not minding losing, in fact in the end she ended up before me so that was fun for her;
-My sister-in-law asking me to take the game to another Christmas Party the day after;
-My brother-in-law playing a piece on the piano to describe his feelings about a card: that was really fun but HARD to guess!
-It was also reassuring that in 2 out of 3 rounds, I guessed my girlfriend’s card correctly…

So I can recommend Dixit to everybody who is looking for a fun, beautiful, deep, interesting family game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to hear about a new family getting the Dixit effect. Tis the perfect holiday treat. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
United States
Panama City
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a winner for us during the holidays as well.

We also had the lovely "Let's play that again" as soon as the first game was over.

I also like how you can play with all ages, and the kids can often come up with some truly off-the-wall "story telling" but it still works well for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike berk
United States
rancho cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had recently purchased journeys but had never played it before. Brought it Xmas eve and it was a hit. My dad even played and he never plays games with the family. We played three times in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cockrell
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very entertaining and enjoyable read! Thank you for sharing this enjoyable evening!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Glad to hear that Dixit was a success for you as well. I took my game to my parents' place as well and it was a smashing success. I own all of the expansions so we were able to go through all of the cards. I think we ended up playing about 6 games of this over the two days. It was a huge hit! I will definitely continue buying expansions for this as they come out. It's definitely a keeper for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.