Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/CoC/CoCCards.html/_/anci...

I've mulled it over for quite some time, but I haven't been able to think of an instance in which this card would be useful. What am I missing? Is it only meant to be used in a combo with something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Bifford the Youngest @ www.byfordphotos.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Exhaust all non-Ancient One characters in play."

Yes, you are missing something

This is a lovely card to hold in your hand ready for that occasion when you need supremacy at the story phase, or to stop the other player to win.

As long as you have an Ancient One in play (preferably with your opponant Not having any) then when you play this card all cards go bye-byes except the Ancient one(s), allowing you to reign and take the story point you need, or stopping them getting what they need.

So this card is a very nice way to clear the playing field for that special "needs must" occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that's the part of the card the question is about. Rather, this is the sticky point:

"Play during your story phase after all players have committed characters."

Since characters have already been committed, you can't use it to clear the way for stories. Since it's YOUR story phase, you can't use it to set up unopposed stories on your next turn (if you could play it on the opponent's turn for instance).

There might be something good possible if you had multiple Ancient Ones in play (and your opponent didn't), but if you did you'd be playing a multi-faction deck and have trouble playing a cost 3 Loyal Syndicate card.

So yeah, I don't see anything good enough to be worth a cost 3 Loyal card here. I wonder if there were late changes to the card or something, but unless you can wrangle some sort of big combo out of it it's just not a very useful card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I don't think that's the part of the card the question is about. Rather, this is the sticky point:

"Play during your story phase after all players have committed characters."

Since characters have already been committed, you can't use it to clear the way for stories. Since it's YOUR story phase, you can't use it to set up unopposed stories on your next turn (if you could play it on the opponent's turn for instance).

There might be something good possible if you had multiple Ancient Ones in play (and your opponent didn't), but if you did you'd be playing a multi-faction deck and have trouble playing a cost 3 Loyal Syndicate card.

So yeah, I don't see anything good enough to be worth a cost 3 Loyal card here. I wonder if there were late changes to the card or something, but unless you can wrangle some sort of big combo out of it it's just not a very useful card.

Exactly. I suppose there are bound to be some duds occasionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that Richard Garfield once said that it was a good idea to occasionally include bad cards so that players "could have the pleasure of discovering that they are bad". Don't know if it's true or not, I never read that interview.

But I think the simplest explanation is that maybe an earlier version had fewer restrictions on it and something was added which flipped it too far the other way. If it weren't for the "your turn" part it would be a good card IMHO - an alternative to or additional form of Panic. So maybe it started out like that and they decided 6 Panic-like cards in a deck was too much. Just a guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'vediscovered cards that combo to well with each other, thematically as well as mechanically, spaced by more than a year to be accident. I'm pretty sure if there isn't already a combo out there, one will be coming. Makes me want to start scouring cardgamedb for possible combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.