Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Smith
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased the last of the big box expansions that are out right now. I have a few questions about what to get next. My first question is what cycles have been reprinted with the X3 format?

My second question is what are some of the better cycles to start with. The Dreamlands cycle was going to be one of my first purchases, but from what I understand it still hasn't been reprinted (if this is wrong please tell me). I was considering getting "The Summons of the Deep" or "The Yuggoth Contract". I don't really know if these are X3 yet or not either though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All cycles other than Dreamlands have been reprinted in X3 format AFAIK. The Dreamlands cards are really wonderful, though.

The Yuggoth Contract is great, but it has no Silver Twilight. Its main attractions include lots of Mi-Go and alternate, generally superior versions of the faction-heading Ancient Ones.

The Ancient Relics cycle has a new story deck in the first pack (Shifting Sands) and includes a lot of fun cards throughout.

Revelations (the final cycle of packs) has lots of Tomes and Tome-oriented cards including faction-specific editions of the Necronomicon and interesting neutral supports called Libraries. It also has a bunch of fun faction-specific conspiracies at the cycle's end.

The other cycles all have their virtues, but I think those stand out as the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can start nearly anywhere. Shifting Sands is good if you want more Story cards. You don't need to do cycle-by-cycle either, feel free to just jump around and get the specific packs/cards you want.

If you really like Silver Twilight, get the later packs from the Rituals of the Order cycle and later.

I'd probably rate Forgotten Lore a low priority.

Otherwise, get what you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Smith
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses!

I really like the Mi-Go cards that's one of the main reasons I was considering The Yuggoth Contract. It made me a bit sad when I read that The Dreamlands hadn't been reprinted yet, I really like the night and day mechanic. It is good to know that the others are all reprinted.

Part of the reason I am planning on buying a cycle at a time is due to my previous LCG experiences. It seems like all of the cards in a single cycle tend to have similar themes/mechanics and typically synergize well.

I think I'll start with the Yuggoth Contract then (unless Dreamlands gets reprinted before I get around to buying any new packs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it will be reprinted eventually. I've heard a couple of times that this will happen once they sell out of the old Dreamlands cards, and we know most of the packs are getting low. So, sometime in 2013 seems possible.

Plus they'll be coming out with more boxed expansions every 4 months or so - the Yog box has recently been announced to be the next one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Smith
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for the Yog Box, it looks really awesome! I like that they are changing to the big box every 4 months, I think it's a much better way to distribute the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Middleton
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another +1 hoping for a re-print of the Dreamlands Cycle - either in X3 or Big Box format...hopefully in 2013...

I purchased the Core Set last December and for this Christmas have decided to have a bash at some deckbuilding so have purchased Secrets of Arkham, the Shifting Sands AP, and have the Yuggoth Contract cycle on order.

DBoeren has written some excellent articles on deckbuilding using these sets - starting here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/750355/basic-deck-building-f...

if you've not had a chance to read his articles yet I can thoroughly recommend them!

Happy deckbuilding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Smith
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read that article already, it is an excellent read. In all honesty, I always like reading what dboeren has to say on games, it's normally quite insightful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.