Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake Rule
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine introduced me to this game, recently. I'd never played "The Resistance" before, and I'd never found a game that I could play with more than 7 players and still enjoy (Avalon is 5-10 players), so I thought I'd give it a try.

In the game, there is a draw at the start to determine the secret roles of each of the players. Generally the ratio is about 3 knights to each traitor. One of the good guys is Merlin, who has the ability to know who the traitors are without the traitors knowing who he is. However, if his identity is discovered or guessed, at game end, by the traitors, the knights lose. Through a "Heads-up Seven-up" type sequence at the start, the traitors learn who each other are, and Merlin learns who they are. In the game, the knights/traitors attempt 5 quests in which they must succeed 3 times in order to win. Essentially, they succeed by compiling teams of all knights (though traitors can pretend to be knights, at times). I won't get into the mechanics in great detail. My ratings of the game are as follows:

1.) Price

I paid $16 for this game, after shipping, from Miniature Market. This game doesn't need to be expensive, there is little to it. It is price appropriately such that lots of copies should be sold. Note that the base game is not needed in order to play "Avalon", they are two different games.

2.) Component Quality

I've never been one to buy card sleeves, but this is a game that you definitely need sleeves for. The cards in the game are passed around secretly a lot, and the cards easily get dinged and bent. The rest of the components are fine. I just wish they would have made the cards be of a higher quality.

3.) Game length

Party games need to be short and never feel like they are dragging. At 15-35 minutes per game, this game is the perfect length, in my opinion.

4.) Replayability

Generally, I think people will rarely play one game at a time. It's meant to played 2, 3, or 4 times, back-to-back, in my opinion. That's not what is meant by this category though. Replayability (which isn't a word) is more about how often it will get played over the course of your life. Unless I develop a disinterest in lying and deceiving (which is what this game is all about), I can't imagine ever disliking this game. When playing games with groups of 8-10 people, I think this game will always be my #1 choice.

5.) Fun

This game seems to be fun for everyone who plays - even those who hate to play games. I hate party games, and I still found this game to be very fun. However, it isn't a game that I can't stop thinking about and can't wait to play again. Each game is somewhat the same, so it's hard for me to give it the last half-star.

6.) Ease to teach/learn

It's extremely easy to explain the rules of this game to people with varying levels of gaming experience.

OVERALL RATING:

I will definitely get my money's worth out of this purchase. It is my favorite party game and I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious: Are your evaluations based on the game including all the roles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Rule
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, just Merlin. I've also tried using the Lady of the Lake and my group didn't like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd introduce Percival or Mordred (depending which side tends to win more) before Lady of the Lake - the Lady feels more like a concession to Resistance fans who miss the plot cards than an organic part of the game...

I tend to only introduce additional mechanics beyond Merlin/Assassin when playing with more people - with 5 or 6, at least a third of the players are already "special". When playing with 9 or 10, Merlin is only one of six good guys, so carries rather less weight in the game, and adding more special roles helps balance things out a bit more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.