Raven Zachary
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Is is safe to assume that The Hobbit Strategy Battle Game is a new edition of the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game rules? Should I purchase the hardback Hobbit rules even if my intention is to use Lord of the Rings units (e.g. Easterlings, Gondor, etc.)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have mine yet, but from what I've read it's the same game with new rules for the new miniatures. If you intend on buying any of The Hobbit miniatures, then yes, you should get the rulebook. Otherwise, stick with what you have.

Also, note that the rulebook in the The Hobbit: Escape from Goblin Town is not the same as the hardback. It's a very minor excerpt of the hardback, just enough rules to play with the figures in the box set. So plan on getting them both (I was hoping to get them for Christmas, no such luck. Maybe birthday ).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that the miniature Rulebook in the EfGT box set has NO profiles and NO points even for the figures included in the box. Their profiles ARE included in the other enclosed booklet but NOT the points values.

This is the first publication of a LotR related rulebook from GW that does not include miniature profiles and points. The change was made with no prior warning so a lot of people who bought the box set felt short changed on discovering that they would have to buy the hardcover rulebook as well in order to get what was always included prior to this release.

*Edit and update* Games Workshop made the complete profiles section from the hardcover book available as a PDF on their website in December 2013.thumbsupcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Debiec
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No No No!!!!!!

I would stay away from the hobbit rule book,
They (in my opinion) made the game worse.
Archery with new rules is useless, monsters have ne "gamey" rules like hurl so you can line up a lot of units behind a monster and he can just throw them like a catapult.

If you intend to play the Lotr game not the bloody hobbit use the one ring rule book (blue hard cover volume) you will get all the original (and the best) rules + all your profiles in one splendid volume.

That's just my two cents.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't notice any significant changes from LotR to The Hobbit. What changed to make it so bad?

Plus, The Hobbit hard cover has all the profiles from LotR...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Debiec
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there Bryce

So there is still a bit of life left in this forum?
To compare this to the x-wing forum is like comming back from a rave party in new york and going to a country pub in the out back Australia on a monday morning.
But its all GW doing, going after fun made content, sticking it to retailers and charging for their minis as if they were made from pure cocaine and diamond dust.
I remember years back (i was a long time GW customer) going in to one of their stores and seeing all the metal blisters displayed ready for you to pick ( not the finecast crap)...ahhh the good ald days
So i'm taking a particular delight in the demise of the GW people have voted with their wallets.
The only GW game i still play is Lotr (not hobbit) although i have not purchased anything from GW in the past 10 years( love e-bay) except paints as i'm to lazy to look for a match in other brands.
But going back to the topic
There were significant changes in the hobbit
1) archery is weak as piss now, you pay -1 penalty to hit if you have moved, in the old book you were allowed half a move and shoot.
2)They have now monster rules which are stupid or gamey at best.
3)each weapon now have special characterisic and i mean each type, swords, maces, hammers etc so it slows down the game a lot
4)New deployment rules "warbands" or as i call it "a way to screw you so that you buy more of our overpriced heroes because under the new rules each band of 12 warriors has to have a hero deployed with it.... so have 36 orcs? want to play? buy 3 of our heroes in convinient clam packs and that will set you back just $90 buck (in the land of Oz).
I'm saving money as we speak to go to England and as a part of my holiday expirience i will visit GW HQ and piss on their overgrown Space Marine that sits on the grounds outside.

Well that's my rant over

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked the Hobbit box set, especially when compared to the LotR box sets when the movies first came out. I liked that all the scenarios inside used just the stuff that came with the box. It always annoyed me with the LotR boxes that there weren't many you could play without buying more figures. I think the Mines of Moria box set was like this, but I never picked that one up, since I had all those figs from earlier and didn't feel a need to get it.

I unfortunately haven't played much Hobbit or LotR these days. Just like the X-Wing forums, the X-Wing game sees a lot more of my time than the LotR hobby. But I like to stay abreast of what's coming out (not much these days, even got shafted in the new crappy White Dwarfs), and follow these forums, as inactive as they are

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Debiec
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yes i like the look of the plastic hobbit miniatures , Gw always did great plastics but i will not buy any of the fine cast minis, thats why i'm patrolling e-bay for metals ,,,,,,,,,must have my precious.
There is nothing like moving your metal mordor troll on the game board the nice hefty feel of it.
Ahhh but i suppose the day of metal miniatures is comming to an end, not only for GW but other companies tend to shift to plastics or dare i say it resin.
But there is one company that only produces in metal or pewter as they call it.
GHQ they produce excellent miniature ww2 and modern tanks in 1:285 scale as well as warships in 2400 scale, very impresive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.