Subject: 7.75 out of 10: A lost theme, but an excellent two-player mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Herbie Hancock: Takin' Off // Art Farmer & Bill Evans: Modern Art // Sonny Rollins: Way Out West
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Geekmods must be asleep at the switch, approving and awarding geek gold for two reviews on the same game, 18 minutes apart from the same reviewer, and with only half a dozen words changed (see 7.35 out of 10: A lost theme, but an excellent two-player mechanic).

Tyler, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't know that the second version you submitted would be in addition to, not in place of, the first. That said, if either of your 2 submissions say anthing that hadn't been said literally dozens of times in the previous 100+ reviews we already have for this title, I missed it. I think you'd do better choosing a subject that hasn't already been done to death for your next review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Heasley
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
That said, if either of your 2 submissions say anthing that hadn't been said literally dozens of times in the previous 100+ reviews we already have for this title, I missed it. I think you'd do better choosing a subject that hasn't already been done to death for your next review.

Valid point. I guess I'm being selfish since I'm new to board game reviews because I enjoyed the practice more than anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theasley wrote:
Sphere wrote:
That said, if either of your 2 submissions say anthing that hadn't been said literally dozens of times in the previous 100+ reviews we already have for this title, I missed it. I think you'd do better choosing a subject that hasn't already been done to death for your next review.

Valid point. I guess I'm being selfish since I'm new to board game reviews because I enjoyed the practice more than anything.

Not sure what happened or why there are two pretty well duplicate reviews, but review what you want, there are always people that haven't read the 100+ reviews that came before you and they might learn something and be lead read a little more. Just be a bit more careful when you post and don't duplicate, edit and amend to your previous review.

My 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Heasley
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacabck wrote:
Just be a bit more careful when you post and don't duplicate, edit and amend to your previous review.

My 2 cents.

I've learned my lesson, and I'm getting someone's help on deleting this entry soon. Sorry for the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere: I agree that the GeekMods were a little too doped up on Christmas candy this time around and didn't catch the same review being posted twice. But I think a 'BGG|NEWUSER' should get a little leeway when it comes to their first few postings. There's nothing in the rules that say you can't post a done-to-death review on a game.

Welcome to BGG, Tyler!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm Gonna Wreck It!
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I think you'd do better choosing a subject that hasn't already been done to death for your next review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Sphere wrote:
[I]f either of your 2 submissions say anthing that hadn't been said literally dozens of times in the previous 100+ reviews we already have for this title, I missed it. I think you'd do better choosing a subject that hasn't already been done to death for your next review.

Eh, maybe he didn't feel confident reviewing anything else yet. I'm just glad he's contributing. I say bring on the reviews, no matter whether their games are done to death. Somebody will want to read it. Anyway, this review popping up in the front-page Review module might turn someone new onto the game who would never have gone out and looked for a review to read cold. What's a publicly expressed opinion for, if not to add to a critical mass? It's valuable to see similar opinions as well as different ones.

Anyway, I've double-submitted a post before by accident, and that would be particularly easy if you browsed 'back' (after submitting) to change one thing without realizing that you'd be submitting a separate review, not an updated copy of your outstanding review.

Don't worry about it, Tyler.

Sorry, though, there's no way to delete a thread once someone else has replied to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theasley wrote:
Sphere wrote:

Ignore the ICP (Internet Content Police). You are not being selfish, you are being an active new member.

Many posts & reviews repeat the same stuff over and over as well. You would not be alone in that regard, present company included.

Not everyone has the time or inclination to audit every review on BGG to ensure their review will be unique or offer something new or unsaid, expecially in such a very simple game as Lost Cities.

Carry On!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Herbie Hancock: Takin' Off // Art Farmer & Bill Evans: Modern Art // Sonny Rollins: Way Out West
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theasley wrote:
Sphere wrote:

Tyler, you're a good man. You seem to be the only one who didn't misinterpret my remark, which was meant as a helpful suggestion that you'd do more good and find more enthusiastic readers if you tackled less-reviewed subjects.

(And to all the tut-tutting old ladies who fluttered in, have a nice day. Don't forget - bingo at 7!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
I go to bed at 7. It's 6 or nothing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Heasley
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
Welcome to BGG, Tyler!

Thanks! I feel bad about this whole duplicate review thing, but apparently it's not going away. I look forward to when more reviews come through so that mine will not be at the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Heasley
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Anyway, this review popping up in the front-page Review module might turn someone new onto the game who would never have gone out and looked for a review to read cold.

That hadn't occurred to me, but it's an excellent observation. I don't know how often I'll write reviews or how often I'll go after beaten-to-death topics, but hopefully someone somewhere out there is benefitted by my review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Heasley
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Tyler, you're a good man. You seem to be the only one who didn't misinterpret my remark, which was meant as a helpful suggestion that you'd do more good and find more enthusiastic readers if you tackled less-reviewed subjects.

Thank you, and thanks for the ! With the other comments, I started to worry that I took your comment too lightly and did misinterpret it . I appreciate the suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find value in a reviewer recording reviews of older games since it allows me to see whether the reviewer's opinions align or not with my tastes in games which are already known to me. That helps me in assessing their reviews of games unknown to me. So, I say review away whether old or new games. It's all appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.