$10.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Battlestar Galactica» Forums » General

Subject: 23 & 7 - new Christmas gifts showing up in the rankings? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Sansone
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, a number is just that, as we say about age and other things -- but for the sake of discussion, allow me to bring up the following subject.

In recent weeks, I've noticed a slow but sure decline in Battlestar Galactica's board game rank and thematic game rank (more so the former) on BoardGameGeek.

Of course, the game is now about 4 years old, the show has been off the air for about 3 years, and newer games such as A Game of Thrones (2d ed.) are gaining traction.

Also, can we attribute some of the fluctuation to new game arrivals under the holiday tree?

Things that make you go hmmmm ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steye
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've wished for the 3rd BSG expansion under my holiday tree

Seriously, Fantasy Flight Games, I'd buy it without a second's thought!

Who else?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guestid1250 wrote:
OK, a number is just that, as we say about age and other things -- but for the sake of discussion, allow me to bring up the following subject.

In recent weeks, I've noticed a slow but sure decline in Battlestar Galactica's board game rank and thematic game rank (more so the former) on BoardGameGeek.

Of course, the game is now about 4 years old, the show has been off the air for about 3 years, and newer games such as A Game of Thrones (2d ed.) are gaining traction.

Also, can we attribute some of the fluctuation to new game arrivals under the holiday tree?

Things that make you go hmmmm ...


It's kinda the natural progression of things. Older games slip in the rankings and are replaced by newer games. 8 of the top 25 games were released within the last 3 years. This could be viewed as a good thing. It could be taken as the quality of recently released games is very good.

BSG still one of my favorites!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
This too shall pass.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
But indeed, new expansion fixing all the problems with the previous two would be fantastic. It might take quite long to design something like that, though. If it is at all possible.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us all raise the BSG rating by a point or so to keep it on top! ;-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, I say! The number doesn't mean anything. It's (March) Geek Madness that counts! As long as we keep upsetting higher ranked games, I'll be happy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Let us all raise the BSG rating by a point or so to keep it on top! ;-)


I can't unless BGG adds an 11 to the rating system.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guestid1250 wrote:
OK, a number is just that, as we say about age and other things -- but for the sake of discussion, allow me to bring up the following subject.

In recent weeks, I've noticed a slow but sure decline in Battlestar Galactica's board game rank and thematic game rank (more so the former) on BoardGameGeek.

Of course, the game is now about 4 years old, the show has been off the air for about 3 years, and newer games such as A Game of Thrones (2d ed.) are gaining traction.

Also, can we attribute some of the fluctuation to new game arrivals under the holiday tree?

Things that make you go hmmmm ...
I am annoyed that Puerto Rico, Dominion, and Agricola stay at the top and probably will for all time, but I'd say just best not to think about it.


Flyboy Connor wrote:
But indeed, new expansion fixing all the problems with the previous two would be fantastic. It might take quite long to design something like that, though. If it is at all possible.
While overall, I like the new expansions, a new one always introduces new problems, so you would need a new expansion after the new expansion to fix those. Then another one to fix THAT exp.... it's a vicious cycle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steye
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All we can do is introduce this wonderfull game to as many players as possible. And suggest they join BGG

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about this for a bit now.

FF seems' to be releasing 2nd editions of some stuff.

could we see a BSG 2nd edition in the near future?

I also agree the rankings don't mean much. Board game rankings are about as arbitrary as taste in music.

Even though we all know TOOL is the greatest band ever, millions and millions of "Sheep" will still like Britney Spears better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Steye wrote:
I've wished for the 3rd BSG expansion under my holiday tree

Seriously, Fantasy Flight Games, I'd buy it without a second's thought!

Who else?


I love BSG, but I probably would skip it (unless it was a Miskatonic-style expansion expansion). The first two had many problems, and I (more often than not) steal one or two elements from them and just play the base game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sansone
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KAGE13 wrote:


could we see a BSG 2nd edition in the near future?


Never thought of that ... Hmmm, wonder what kinds of things they could do with a second edition?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guestid1250 wrote:
KAGE13 wrote:


could we see a BSG 2nd edition in the near future?


Never thought of that ... Hmmm, wonder what kinds of things they could do with a second edition?
If they also acknowledge some of the "flaws" that us BGG-ers brought up, then perhaps those (ie. Qcard limit, IC also revealing Destiny, nothing happens with cylon ship icons when there aren't any matching cylon ships on the board), then perhaps those. I am a bit concerned about "fragementation"... as dealing with 2 expansions is a doozey.... now you'll have some people with 1st or 2nd ed. base games. Also gotta be hell from a production standpoint. AFAIK, games like Settlers Of Catan, Carcassonne, and Twilight Imperium are mainstream enough among gamers to warrant later editions of themselves.

It seems like if we want changes, it's left to the users to set their own house rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.