Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomasz
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I just got the game. I read reviews and I expect this to be really good.
I haven't seen any episode of BSG series. I know that it is not necessary to know the series to play the game but I think it will only make the game more fun.
So my question is - what seasons of the series is Battlestar Galacitca board game based on? What should I watch before playing to not see any spoilers in the game?

regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
This too shall pass.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't any real spoilers in the game, but I recommend you watch the pilot episode (mini-series) to get some background knowledge on the characters and get into the mood of things.

If you are going to include expansions, however, you will have to deal with spoilers. But I recommend you stick with the base game for your first dozen games anyway.

The base game is based on the first season. The Pegasus expansion covers everything up to the first half of the third season. The Exodus expansion goes well into the fourth season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
kaszkiet wrote:
Hi,

I just got the game. I read reviews and I expect this to be really good.
I haven't seen any episode of BSG series. I know that it is not necessary to know the series to play the game but I think it will only make the game more fun.
So my question is - what seasons of the series is Battlestar Galacitca board game based on? What should I watch before playing to not see any spoilers in the game?

regards
The miniseries and the first season should more then cover you for the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Pieter. The mini-series will set the mood and make the theme clear to you. I only know of one or two "spoilers" in the base game but they won't be obvious because it is just a quote here or a picture there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Scott
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The miniseries is probably sufficient. I suggest "33" and "Water" (the first two season 1 episodes), because they also do a good job of showing the desperation of humanity's plight, but they aren't necessary to the enjoyment of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your quick answers.
I don't plan buying expansions for now, so I will watch just first season before my first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the crisis cards reference episodes up to the end of season 2. However, they're not very spoilery. You just have a title and maybe a couple of quotations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of disagree with the others. There are no spoilers if you don't read any flavour text, but that includes looking at the images! I'd say to be totally safe with the base set, you should watch the first half of the first season.

As the others said, the expansions introduce lots more spoilers. (Very) generally speaking, Pegasus spoils season 2 and the start of 3, and Exodus spoils the rest of season 3 and 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a different look at things. I'm going to call a spoiler something that RUINS a surprise, or plot point or some hidden thing that jumps out at you later.

And so I think that the cards in BSG TBG are so "out of context" with their pictures and quotes that there are very few spoilers, actual plot give aways that RUIN surprises in the videos. The vast majority are "teasers" . Example : 'Rescue the _____' is in the card deck, it must be in the show"!

Oh really: There's a rescue in BSG! Is that a spoiler, or a teaser? Add the photo and it starts getting closer to spoiler than teaser. But even if the photo is of a main character, I mean really. They get in trouble, and then we watch to see how/if they survive. How else would we have the next episode? They survive, don't they? devil

So instead I think what'll happen is if you play the game before watching the series you'll get moments of "Oh! THAT's what that crisis card was on about! oooo, that really is a crisis!" And that can provide a lot of enjoyment that you wouldn't have gotten without playing the game first.

Now, there are some major exceptions to this: The "You are a cylon cards" - pictures give away who some of them are. Those are TRUE secrets!

Even more so in the Expansions, especially something in Exodus that gives away all sorts of plot implications. There's a character in Pegasus that has something on their card that any logical person can deduce another spoiler of a surprise. The end games to both Expansions give away something that's coming. Hmm, okay reading the rules in Exodus gives away all sorts of upcoming nastiness.

But if you've seen the mini-series, then the base game isn't really going to ruin surprises if you then watch Season 1 & 2 later. instead it's almost "checkpoints". When you go "oh cool!" And "that's why it was that kind of skill check, or decision, or attack card".

Semi-Oooops. Now there's an example: The above line included the phrase "attack cards". Now I have some purist friends who would freak that I've just given away the fact that there's a possibility that the cylons occasionally attack the human fleet. My thinking is "Really!?! The cylons attack is a spoiler? There's not much surprise there" so, seriously, "that was a spoiler?" Not in my book. (Although the details on the card might be more spoiler than teaser).

"Spock Dies" in the second Star Trek movie. That's a spoiler. "Spock is in grave danger" is a teaser. But that he actually dies? That's a shocking surprise. American Dad's Star Wars parody: "We've got 4 of the 5 main characters right here on the ship, so I"m pretty sure we're going to be okay". Teaser, not spoiler.

All right, so where was I?

Okay some of the game mechanics (rules) in Pegasus & Exodus expansions are more spoiler than teaser. They're showing you so much that you're going "woah! What are they getting themselves into?" and that could spoil the episodes that set those situations up.

The loyalty cards give away "who's who". And the expansions provide ... more secrets. Talking about it is more spoiler than teaser.

But pictures on cards with cryptic quotes, Not so much plot destroying secret as teaser.

Bottom line, as already said: Watch the starting mini-series, and then the first two episodes "33" and "Water". Nothing in base game will spoil your viewing after that. IN my book you'll be more interested in "what's with all the Food Shortages?" and "Water Shortages"? What was that Quorum card trying to model? Why does Roslin's drawback work like that? All those kind of questions from playing first will just be teasers as you watch the rest of season 1 & 2.

Just my two cubits.

ps. If you are a "purist" who thinks anything is a spoiler, then yes Watch the show first. Or, go the other route, play the game and all expansions several times "so the show doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
The miniseries and the first season should more then cover you for the base game.

I agree with Jim, because when we were playing our first (and only) game (so far) my daughter had read "something" on one of the cards... it probably was no big deal,... but we quit playing anyway until we finish watching the entire series. Which by the way we just did watch the final 'episode' the other night, but now we want to watch the BSG: The Plan movie.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the base game before watching the series, and it really did not spoil anything. Without having the context of the series to act as a framework, I actually remembered very few details of the cards and characters.
The only thing I remembered clearly from the game, prior to watching the show, was the identity of one of the cylons... but the character is revealed (to the viewer) as a cylon very, very early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaszkiet wrote:
Thank you for your quick answers.
I don't plan buying expansions for now, so I will watch just first season before my first game.

That will cover you fine for both enjoying the game more and avoiding spoilers until you finish the series. You can enjoy the game without ever watching it but it won't be the same experience since the context won't be there.

I agree that the pilot, "33", and "Water" are pretty much essential for that aspect of it. After that, the Cylon cards and a few other tidbits will spoil some things so you should just spend a weekend or so watching the first season before you look at the components or play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
It also helps that the 2nd half of the miniseries and the first episode ('33') are the best (or at least top 3) in the series (outside of the 'omg they didn't just do that' season finales). You'll know only 2-4 hours in if you'll love the show.

Some people like the first half of the miniseries too. Dragged a little too much for me (though it was necessary to introduce the huge cast).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all of you for a very comprehensive answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
This too shall pass.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:
but now we want to watch the BSG: The Plan movie.

Wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
JimM wrote:

Wrong.

In that case, I take it "The Plan" isn't very goodgulp? (Please no spoilers)

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
This too shall pass.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:

In summary: No.

I bought the whole series. I bought Razor. I watched The Plan. And decided that I did not even need it for completionist reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Neilson
United States
Mountain Home
Idaho
flag msg tools
"It is still five minutes to midnight" -The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists Science and Security Board. 13 January 2014.
badge
Troops of the U.S. Army 11th Airborne Division watch a plume of radioactive smoke rise November 1, 1951 after a blast at Yucca Flats, Nevada. (Photo by National Archive/Newsmakers)
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:
JimM wrote:

Wrong.

Jim

Let me qualify this a abit... If you liked or did not mind how the series ended, then "The Plan" is a good watch. The reason why I say this is because the Cylon Plan seemed to have become completely forgotten/incomprehensible by the final season. Whatever it was... This DVD movie attempts to put the Cylon POV into some context, but it does come up short. IMO all it proves is that Moore and Larson had no idea where the series was going, despite what they had previous said and the teaser bit about the Cylons having "a plan" in the early seasons opening credits.

I also happened to like Caprica, even though it was too slow for its own good, and the BSG: Blood and Chrome webisodes (gonna be released as a "complete" DVD movie here soon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I don't want to "hijack" the thread, but I will add that I am getting it from the library (for free) to watch... (because it is there; reason) Oh... and I liked the ending of the series.

I don't really have any desire to watch BSG: B&C due to it not having the 'regular' cast from the show. (at least that is what I understand)

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Neilson
United States
Mountain Home
Idaho
flag msg tools
"It is still five minutes to midnight" -The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists Science and Security Board. 13 January 2014.
badge
Troops of the U.S. Army 11th Airborne Division watch a plume of radioactive smoke rise November 1, 1951 after a blast at Yucca Flats, Nevada. (Photo by National Archive/Newsmakers)
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:

I don't really have any desire to watch BSG: B&C due to it not having the 'regular' cast from the show. (at least that is what I understand)

Jim

You are correct, B&C is about Adama and the first Cylon War. Also, it was meant as a pilot movie for a new series, but SciFi, I mean SYFY, oops, I mean the WWE channel decided to cancel the series before the movie was finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm coming at the question from a different perspective. I started watching the series with the miniseries, and then some of the episodes. I ended up not liking it and stopped watching it. Then I saw the game and thought it was great, played it PBF, and went back to the series and was able to get through it, more than once, because of the game and the "teasers", as Gerry suggested.

So, I suggest that you NOT watch the first season before playing the game. Watching the miniseries is probably a good idea, but if you play the game a bit first and pay attention to the flavour text and the characters that you play you should end up enjoying the first season more than you otherwise would, in my opinion.

This might be a bit of a spoiler so I'll spoil it, but it's not a big thing:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The biggest example of this is Helo, where when I watched it the first time it just seemed like a distraction from the main events, especially since it didn't tell us anything that we didn't already know. After playing Helo in the game, I had a bit of attachment to the character, and so I had more buy-in to those parts and so enjoyed it more. I think similar things could happen for Boomer's story overall if you come in already attached to the character.

EDIT: In hindsight, that's probably more of a teaser than a spoiler [grin].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.