Subject: Short review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bijan Ajamlou
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight board game is the best fantasy adventure board game on the market. Since i bought it I sold my copies of Talisman and Runebound. Having fond memories of playing Heroes of might and magic and Warlords as a kid, this game reminds me a lot of them.

(Warlords is a computer game series created by Steve Fawkner, in which role-playing elements are combined with turn-based strategy in a fantasy setting.)

The game has some flaws: its fiddly and has a huge run away leader problem.

Whit this expansion the game gets marginally more fiddly. All the new content (monster tokens, spells, advanced actions etc) adds more fun variation so it makes it worth it. Whit the new general and some adventure sites the run away leader problem is adressed. For me the highlights are the new monster tokens.

Monster Tokens ()
These are wonderfully created and flavorful. The values and abilities of the monster reflects theme. For example a hydra has several attacks, a siege engine hits hard if you are unprepared but whit careful maneuvering you can move around it.

New Units ()
The new units added are a god addition but many of them do on initial evaluation feel little bit circumstantial. But the theme shines through here as well. Recruiting Thugs that can give you negative reputation could corrupt you in taking advantage of their services and for example burn down monasteries. Recruiting familiars sends you on a quest to fuel them whit crystals.

New Advanced actions, Spells and Artifacts ()
Interesting cards that open up some new strategies. The cards are thematic and have nice artwork (finally not recycled!).

New Character ()
Nice to have one more female character. No power creep here. The sculpt is OK (the sculpts from the basegame where mostly bad).

New Adventure Tiles ()
These add an amazingly amount of variation and excitement to the game! Nice ideas. First i thought the wall where strange and looked odd on the map. But thematically walls have always been important in ancient and medieval times. The Romans for example built a huge wall in Britain to protect them selfs from the kelts, and not for mentioning the chinese wall.
The mazes and labyrints adventures sites adresses some of the runaway leader problem. Since more than one hero now can enter the same site falling behind gets less of an issue.

New Archenemy "robot"()
The addition of general Volkare is surprisingly good! He adresses some of the flaws in the game and fixes them elegantly. There is no need of the dummy player anymore. And in addition the game scenarios now is less about counting victory points. The cooperative scenarios against an archenemy also adresses some of the runaway leader problem. The generals movement on the map in some scenarios feels very epic.
One thing they could have added was a deck of cards for the general. This would have removed the need of creating a deck for him from another characters deck. His deck could in addition included arrows pointing in which direction he moves and thematic artwork.

Component Quality()
All graphics design, playtesting really shines through in this expansion. The level of care is amazing. But! the quality of the components them self has an big issue, the colors are off. The back of the tokens, adventure sites and cards have a different hue. In addition i didn't get any crystals in my copy. I advice to count everything!
I have to workaround this by pulling adventure and monster tiles from the bottom and having colored sleeves for the cards.

What I wished mageknight was
There are 2 things i wish that the game adress in future releases. Retheme mageknight for Dungeon and dragons, warhammer fantasy, Heros of might and magic or Rackham world. This game is so good that it deserves a better setting. At least provide more background information for all the strange creatures in the settings.
This game is to fiddly for what it is. Many rules, components, and well everything can be more streamlined. This game is in the same (evolution) state that Magic the gathering was at alpha release, so many things can be improved for Mageknight 2.0.

Conclusion
This is a solid expansion that is a must have if you want more of everything that makes mageknight excellent. The expansion achieves to adress some of the games flaws. In addition if you are a soloplayer or want to try this game solo, this expansion is a must have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Powell
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, thanks for posting this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. What edition is your base game? I'm hearing that the colors are off for 1st edition owners, but I've got the latest (3rd printing I believe) and I'm wondering if the components will match my set better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review.

On Wizkids quality control, lower your expectations; quality control there is a known and well documented issue. I got lucky with my mage knight base set as the only problem was cards not cut exactly center, but I sleeved them and moved on to enjoying the game.

You know you have a quality control problem when there is a web form to get up to 5 components replaced with proof of purchase (more if you can document, and I have with wizkids products). They send the replacements quickly but they are not vetted any better than the original components. Don't expect perfection in components; it's not going to happen.

That said, Wizkids will still get my money once this expansion is available in the USA. Lucky guys in Europe are getting their components first; here's hoping the copies in the distrubtion stream are of good quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jones
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
Authvoarex, Black Dragon of Death
mbmbmbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
Don't expect perfection in components; it's not going to happen.

My second edition copy of Mage Knight is flawless...

Never speak in absolutes, ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
viper34j wrote:
delewobmesid wrote:

Yes, my 3rd printing (2nd edition?) copy of the base game had absolutely no issues whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who was lucky enough to get to work on the expansion I'd just like to say thanks, great review. I think you're pretty much spot on with everything you've said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giliar Fries Perez
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome, thanks for the review. I hope it appears soon enough here in NA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashen von Ragend
Austria
Wien / Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are tons of background information. Just Google mageknight. A very gods, though german, homepage is strats welt. Again, Google is your friend, I am at my mobile device and this can't provide links :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ching Wai Benny Yeung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Maybe you can provide us with the link later ? Sad that I can't read German though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ching Wai Benny Yeung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
and thanks for the review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Froid
Canada
flag msg tools
Mage Knight:Lost Legion Review
I am excited to hear that I won't have to run a dummy player when playing solo anymore, it seems to me that would make things less fiddly. Thanks for the insight and I can't wait for this to hit store shelves here in Canada!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
viper34j wrote:
delewobmesid wrote:

Yes, my 3rd printing (2nd edition?) copy of the base game had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I think you missed the joke there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Zetina
Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
This is not an animated gif, my Gundam's stealth mode is malfunctioning!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
viper34j wrote:

You have created a paradox surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashen von Ragend
Austria
Wien / Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyGreive wrote:
Maybe you can provide us with the link later ? Sad that I can't read German though...

http://mk.strats-welt.at/

Much of the content provided is available in english, just swith to the english navigation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also a useful link:
http://www.cmgrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532788
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashen von Ragend
Austria
Wien / Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:

And of course:
http://www.cmgrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559985
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblin green wrote:
I am excited to hear that I won't have to run a dummy player when playing solo anymore, it seems to me that would make things less fiddly.

I just read the rules last night... Sounds great, and I look forward to playing this weekend, but "less fiddly" is definitely not the term I would use. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
bijanajamlou wrote:
There are 2 things i wish that the game adress in future releases. Retheme mageknight for Dungeon and dragons, warhammer fantasy, Heros of might and magic or Rackham world. This game is so good that it deserves a better setting. At least provide more background information for all the strange creatures in the settings.
This game is to fiddly for what it is. Many rules, components, and well everything can be more streamlined. This game is in the same (evolution) state that Magic the gathering was at alpha release, so many things can be improved for Mageknight 2.0.

The theme ... please, no I love the MK theme exactly the way it is, and I like that I can fill the gaps with my own imagination.

Concerning "too fiddly for what it is" ... well, I'm slightly allergic to that term because I think it basically says nothing. Also, to me, it's not too fiddly. I like the fact that every kind of encounter you could possibly meet has different rules for when to reveal their denizens and how to encounter it, whether you can enter the space with it or not - it all makes perfect thematic sense (for the most part) and actually is what brings the theme to life in the first place.

But I've met my share of gamers who don't enjoy the game because they feel that too few things happen (when they're slaying monsters and conquering keeps left and right) and the game has too many surprises for those who don't know the rules in and out, and I see where they're coming from. I guess a different game would cater to those needs. But do I want for Mage Knight to become that game? Hell no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.