United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I am not making this a review because it is just one game with nobody who knew the rules very well. I am not sure we played all correctly, and I know that we made a few mistakes.

So, this game was a first game with both players. We took some time to talk out the rules and then went into the game feet first.

The only thing we did not use were the event card icons. We used the wording but not the barbarian icons.

In the beginning portion of the game: began with me exploring, civically improving, and then collecting. From my single, albeit happy, city, I collected 2 resources. He advanced his technology with irrigation, civically improved, and then collected 2 food.

I built a second city, collected, and collected again with the second city. he explored, discovered a barbarian tribe, collected again, and built a city.

We spent a round or two at this point sort of feeling out the techs of the game and growing our cities. We tried to piece together combinations of advances that seemed best. He went with academy and public schools, I sort of just blundered around. I got tactics and roads, and I started building an army. I also moved into an Autocracy.

I destroyed that barbarian that he discovered, and that made us adjacent. That was about where I realized I could have wiped him off of the board that round had I planned a bit.

I had moved with my roads and fought in my first action. With the remaining 2 actions, I could have hit both of his cities, leaving him with 1 weak city. He realized it too. I didn't attack because we didn't want to ruin the first game like that. But, trust me when I say we are going to be much more aware of attack actions. Those 3 consecutive actions really weigh on you once you realize what they are.

I can only imagine what it will be like in a 3 or 4 player game, when you are waiting 6 or 9 actions for your next action.

So we spent another round building and advancing and improving our cities, and then I attacked him.

The positive is, we got to feel out the combat that way. The fortress really makes a difference, so I can imagine defending a city being easier than attacking. As it is in history. It will be very expensive to siege a city, and that is a good thing for the sake of the game I think.

So, I took his original city, but he had a port city and another major city that was doing well. I culturally influenced it and in the meantime he built trade routes and was raking in food. He was able to build a Wonder which gave him 5 VP. He built 2 ships, but he never used his ships to transport ships. He was able to build an army too, so his economy was rolling. He did a better job than I did stacking advances.

So, we battled in his land, but it sort of became a stalemate with the fortresses. His wonder prevented my from culturally influencing him.

Long story short, we muddled through the rules, but we were able to see almost all of the functions of the game in action. He won by 2 VP, and that wonder was the key to his victory.

I think that the next time through, we will have a more precise direction to go in, but the Advances will be tough to get into perspective.

The rules were simple to work through, and the cards helped a ton.

So, bottom line, I am looking forward to playing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review!

I'm anxiously awaiting for my copy to arrive (maybe in the next week)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you enjoyed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that a group of units that engages in a battle cannot move again that turn. This really hinders the "blitzkreig" effect of armies and gives opponents a chance to react to your movements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review.

Has anyone tried, or thought to try, a variation on the turn rotation?

Instead if each player getting 3 actions, once all players have gone is a turn.
How about each player takes one action at a time, until all players have taken 3 actions, thus being a turn?

Not sure how this would effect play or balance, since someone could react a bit quicker to something you were doing.
But downtime would be shorter. Especially with 3-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At the very least it would require a marker system when activating cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
Remember that a group of units that engages in a battle cannot move again that turn. This really hinders the "blitzkreig" effect of armies and gives opponents a chance to react to your movements.

Yeah, I found that in the rules. But an army can still move pretty far.

I may have been misplaying roads. It says, "to or from" your cities.

Does that mean that I can only pay the 1 food for that extra space immediately adjacent to my cities?

ropya wrote:
Thanks for the review.

Has anyone tried, or thought to try, a variation on the turn rotation?

Instead if each player getting 3 actions, once all players have gone is a turn.
How about each player takes one action at a time, until all players have taken 3 actions, thus being a turn?

Not sure how this would effect play or balance, since someone could react a bit quicker to something you were doing.
But downtime would be shorter. Especially with 3-4 players.

We talked about this. I have a large player marker from another game I can use. We may give that a spin. But not until we have played the game by the rules a few times first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the Roads advance as a bonus if the group starts in a city and moves anywhere or is two hexes away from a city and moves to it.

Think of it as all roads lead to your cities, even if it isn't Rome yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
I play the Roads advance as a bonus if the group starts in a city and moves anywhere or is two hexes away from a city and moves to it.

Think of it as all roads lead to your cities, even if it isn't Rome yet.

That is what I was thinking too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.