Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (second edition) – Conversion Kit» Forums » General

Subject: Balance Issues? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Stripling
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently I'm halfway through a campaign of Descent 2e, and I've really enjoyed it. However, I am frustrated by the lack of variety of the monsters, and later on I think the limited hero options will get to me. I own all of Descent 1e except ToI and SoB, so the conversion kit seems like a no brainer. Particularly with some Christmas money calling to me from across the room.

My question is whether, with all of the multitude of options the conversion kit gives you, there are monsters that will prove to be go-to options because they're overpowered. There's already been plenty of discussion of the Shadow Dragon and whether it is too powerful, so I don't want to rehash that here, but has anyone who owns the conversion kit run into this problem?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to try all the monsters from the CK yet, but we already noticed that some monsters are better than others. Most of all, "Sorcercy" has proven to be incredibly powerful. Also, Medusas with their ranged immobilize are excellent. In our group, the campaign has become much more balanced since I bought the CK.

That being said, with the monster trait limitations and the fact that a monster's effectiveness depends a lot on the types of heroes it faces, We never felt that we always preferred X over Y.

In my opinion, the best thing about the CK is that it allows the OL to react to what the heroes do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback! Quick question: when you say that the ck allows the OL to respond to what the heroes do, do you mean that with more monster options the OL can choose monsters that can target the weaknesses of the party construction? Or something else? Also, you mention that the sorcerers were powerful because of their sorcery ability. Have you experienced that they are always chosen when they are an option, or are they only optimal for certain types of quests? My concern is that if they are or should be always chosen, then that doesn't seem like the OL is really having to make interesting choices in monster selection.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanjamal wrote:
when you say that the ck allows the OL to respond to what the heroes do, do you mean that with more monster options the OL can choose monsters that can target the weaknesses of the party construction?

Exactly that. If the party lacks dispelling capabilities, go for monsters that can immobilize or poison. If they have noone who can do AoE damage, use Kobolds. If there are no or only few heroes with ranged attacks, Sorcery is your friend.

ryanjamal wrote:
Also, you mention that the sorcerers were powerful because of their sorcery ability. Have you experienced that they are always chosen when they are an option, or are they only optimal for certain types of quests

Well, as powerful as they are, they are certainly not always the best choice. Apart from the party composition of the heroes, it also depends on the type of quest. Sorcerers are fairly poor at blocking hallways or on maps with few open areas. They deal a good amount of damage, but as you know, killing the heroes rarely is the most effective way to victory.

That being said, I do favor them and am always tempted to use them when I get the chance. However, while I don't hold back when playing the OL, I also try to let my heroes have a fun time. And always presenting the same five monsters when there are over thirty to choose from seems less then ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about getting this but concerned about reports that it makes things too tough on the adventurers.

Anyone ever try a compromise something like the OL couldn't do repeats on choosing an open group within 1 Act or over the course of the campaign? Or maybe can use 2nd edition base/expansion monsters unlimited but putting that restriction on the conversion kit monsters? Getting more monsters for variety but then just having the same ones chosen because they're the best seems, well, to defeat the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.