9 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Single Hero play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
asdasd asasd
msg tools
mb
So I've tried a few games of a single hero variant I've been tweaking and so far it has worked out well. I have completed the intro and 2 quests with the following modifications and the hero won 2 of 3. The 2 were fat gob and death on a wing. Hero lost intro due to bad dice rolls I think.

Solo Hero Rules:
-No overlord cards ( I've been considering making the OL have a 1 or 2 card maximum instead, but I feel like the hero has barely been scraping by thus far)
-No master monsters
-All open monster groups chosen at random (actually randomly chose some pretty nasty ones and still did ok)
-Max search tokens
-Lieutenants start with 1 wound in Act 1 and 2 wounds in Act 2 (so far I've been tracking how the scenario would have gone with the Lieu's at full health and the starting wound hasn't made a difference yet)
-Standing up is an action instead of entire turn
-Hero picks quest regardless of loss / victory (optional, but definitely convenient in ACT 2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fairmont
msg tools
Interesting.

Are you doing this as a solo game, or two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
golbeeze wrote:

Solo Hero Rules:
-No overlord cards

I don't like this variant precisely because of this rule. I mean, yes it can certainly be interesting for the heroes, but I would never play this as the OL. Would be too bland with no cards to give the heroes, or HERO, I should say, hell!

However, you might be on to something ditching OL cards if you're trying to turn this into a solo variant.

Perhaps keep digging?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Neufeld
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like where you're going with this, as it could be made into a single player campaign where the OL is automatized (so to speak). I agree with demonhanz that as a two player game (with one hero) I dislike having no OL cards as this is the only customizable feature a OL has (outside of choosing monsters which you have made random).

So along the lines of a single player with auto-OL:

What about leaving master monsters in but taking out the reinforcements?

I also think that with Max search tokens that hero would become very strong quite quickly... did you find that you were able to get all search tokens in the quests you did?

I like your rule about standing up as an action... maybe include an extra red die to make surviving more plausible?

Also out of curiosity how long did those quests take you to play? Which hero are you using?

Have you tried having the monsters on 'auto-pilot' and that they only attack upon sight of hero, making the game more about the OL killing you while you try and fulfill an objective...

With an auto-OL the deck would be difficult, but you could draw one at random at the start of each OL turn and just use it instantly, or if its hero event related, the result happens at the start of your turn regardless of anything you do...

Just a few thoughts, if I had time I would try them myself, but 4 kids under 7 years doesn't allow for much time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
asdasd asasd
msg tools
mb
I am playing both sides currently, and I will keep testing to see if the hero wins too much (mainly thinking about trying it with a cap on OL hand size).

I don't think keeping Master monsters is a good idea. They are far too powerful for a single hero to take on. When there are 2 or 3 open groups, it is already pretty difficult for one hero to handle. I chose Ispher as a Disciple for this first solo campaign. Eliminating reinforcements can destroy the OL's chances at victory. For example, encounter one of Death on a Wing would just be a "kill-them-all" mission for the hero because nothing will slow the hero down to the exit.

The max search token is important because of the few numbers of actions the hero has. I don't think I was able to get more than 2 search tokens per encounter and the tiny number of shop items during the shopping phase (2) means the odds of being able to purchase helpful things is low. I only found 1 treasure chest thus far. It has mostly been potions and 1 nothing.

I haven't found the need for 3 red dice to stand up yet, but I did think about it. I remember rolling fairly well when I needed to stand up, but Ispher also regains his HP (so that may be why). Once you've stood up you can usually get away or try to finish an adjacent monster with your attack.

I haven't done "auto-pilot;" I've still tried to have the OL complete his objective.

I think the auto-use 1 OL card per turn is interesting, instead of maintaining a small hand or negating them completely. I believe I will probably try to complete this campaign first, then modify it some more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Miles Chapman
Canada
flag msg tools
Solo Hero Rules:
-Standing up is an action instead of entire turn

I recognize their are no allied heroes to rez you, but I would be interested in trying to find away to balance it where if the hero is knocked out he/she fails the mission.

As for automated AI: Divide creatures into broad categories based off their abilities (example skeleton archers, sorcerers and goblin archers are all "ranged damage dealers") and create a command line for each category. Creatures with high movement should always go for objectives, Creatures with high damage should try to drop the hero, etc.

This could make descent into an awesome roguelike, now all we need is a dungeon generator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
asdasd asasd
msg tools
mb
It would be nigh impossible for the solo hero to win if the OL only had to knock him out once. This is the same problem you run into when you try to implement a "death is final" concept for heroes in a normal campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think something might have to be done about tests. With rules like the ones you shown hero will have no reason to chose a quest that would require him to test something he has only 1 or 2 in.

Do you chose at random from every monster group or only the groups with correct icons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
asdasd asasd
msg tools
mb
Areinu wrote:
I think something might have to be done about tests. With rules like the ones you shown hero will have no reason to chose a quest that would require him to test something he has only 1 or 2 in.

Do you chose at random from every monster group or only the groups with correct icons?

Only the correct icons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.