Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jasper Birch
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also interesting to know is how certain locations help certain factions better than others and how to use tricks on them. Here a list of all locations:

Location [Faction] (Breaking Point/Scoring)
Cave of Shinies [Tricksters] (23/4-2-1)
After each time a minion is destroyed here, its owner gains 1VP.
Strategy: If you have the ability to destroy minions, play minions on this base and destroy them yourself, making you score easy VPs. If you do not have the ability or have strong minions you don't want to die, play them on this site so others won't be willing to destroy them as quickly and try to get to the breaking point quickly before others can score easy VPs.
Best for: Pirates, Tricksters, Ninjas. Those three factions are the best at destroying minions so they can take easy VP, and if the Tricksters can't get the Gnomes to kill themselves, they can always put one of their location block cards on there to prevent others from destroying themselves.

The Central Brain [Robots] (19/4-2-1)
Each minion here has +1 power.
Strategy: This is a good site for factions that can put down a swarm in one single turn to go from hardly any strength on it to the breaking point. If you can, wait with putting down many minions until you can swarm them out in one turn.
Best for: Robots, Zombies, Tricksters. Robots are perfect swarmers and can lay down over 5 minions in one turn, zombies can play multiple minions as well (who return if destroyed) and Tricksters can play Enshrouding Mist on this site to get an extra minion every turn.

Evans City Cemetery [Zombies] (20/5-3-2)
After this base scores, the winner discards his or her hand and draws five cards.
Strategy: This site is good for factions that can get rid of their hands quickly. If you have no such ability, keep an eye on your opponents hands and try to break the base before they can make their move on it by emptying their hand, but make sure you don't win the base.
Best for: Zombies, Robots, Aliens. Zombies just need to make sure they don't put cards from their discard pile in their hand when the base breaks, and they like discarding more cards. Robots can just swarm out all minions and have an empty hand. Aliens might not be able to empty their own hand as good, but they can always put cards into other players hands and then break the base to let someone with a full hand discard their hand.

Factory 436-1337 [Robots] (25/2-2-1)
When this base scores, the winner gains 1 VP for every 5 power that player has here.
Strategy: This location is both good for swarmers or for factions that can increase minions' strength quickly. Always keep track of how far away from the breaking point you are here and then try to add as much strength as possible to break the base.
Best for: Robots, Dinosaurs, Pirates. Robots with their microbots can increase strength so quickly, it is scary. Dinosaurs of course have brutal monsters and upgrades so they can add a lot of strength in one turn as well, while Pirates can always use the strategy of moving a lot of strength to this base last second, move Pirate King in as well when it breaks and add some Swashbuckling for even more strength.

The Great Library [Magicians] (22/4-2-1)
After this base scores, all players with minions here may draw one card.
Strategy: To be honest, I am not sure about this location. It doesn't really matter that much if you finish first or last. You just want at least one minion in here before the base breaks.
Best for: Ninjas, Pirates, Zombies. Ninjas and Pirates are the best at playing or moving a minion to this location last moment, even after it breaks. Zombies are probably the best to play a minion here without much effort (Tenacious Z/Zombie Lord).

The Grey Opal [Pirates] (17/3-1-1)
After this base scores, all players other than the winner may move a minion from here to another base instead of the discard pile.
Strategy: This site is also good for players who can play or move minions in last minute to score a VP and move them to another base right after it breaks. With the low breaking point of this location, just be careful for people quickly breaking the base.
Best for: Ninjas, Pirates, Tricksters. Ninjas and Pirates can move in minions last moment to score a point and move them away. Tricksters can do anything annoying to this site that will give them the easy ability to place a minion in here as well that will likely be destroyed until the base breaks.

The Homeworld [Aliens] (23/4-2-1)
After each time a minion is played here, its owner may play an extra minion of power 2 or less.
Strategy: There is not too much strategy involved in this one. You just need low power minions in your hand and then just play extra as much as you can.
Best for: Robots, Magicians, Zombies. Supposedly this site is an Alien site, but this site is better for other factions. Robots hardly have stronger minions than 2, and with their swarming ability an extra minion might mean more than 1 coming. Magicians hardly have strong minions as well and they always have plenty of cards in their hand to be able to play plenty of minions. Zombies are not very strong either, but are best when they come with many.

Jungle Oasis [Dinosaurs] (12/2-0-0)
Strategy: With only 2 points for the winner, you need to take this base in one turn, because you will get beaten if you don't break it.
Best for: Dinosaurs, Ninjas, Pirates. Dinosaurs obviously have brutal power, so they don't need much help to get over 12 points. Ninjas are obviously the one exception to the rule that you need to break the base right away, since they can sneak in Shinobis last moment to take those 2 points. Pirates are pretty strong as well and they can easily move other Pirates in last moment.

The Mothership [Aliens] (20/4-2-1)
After this base scores, the winner may return one of his or her minions of power 3 or less from here to his or her hand.
Strategy: This base doesn't have too much strategy to it, but some fractions have minions that they would like back in their hand.
Best for: Aliens, Ninjas, Robots. Aliens want the Invader back in their hand, Ninjas the Shinobi and Robots any Microbot that makes Robots awesome.

Mushroom Kingdom [Tricksters] (20/5-3-2)
At the start of each player's turn, that player may move one other player's minion from any base to here.
Strategy: This location is just plain fun. You can really screw other players by moving minions away from other locations to here. Lots of players' strategies and counting will be screwed when you move a minion of theirs to this site. Just don't pull too much strength of one player to this site so they will easily take the 5 points here.
Best for: Tricksters, Pirates, Aliens. You can almost rather say about this location who is the least screwed by it. Brutal power like Dinosaurs do not like it, Robots with Microbots do not like it. Tricksters obviously have the most fun with this site, since they can even limit the game to one or two bases even more. Pirates can easily move around the table so if they get pulled to this site, they can move back quite easily and Aliens like screwing with bases as well, so this site can add to the fun for them as well.

Ninja Dojo [Ninjas] (18/2-3-2)
After this base scores, the winner may destroy any one minion.
Strategy: Obviously people don't mind getting second on this location, but winning this location is probably a lot better if other locations have interesting minions on them. So aim for second place unless there is a minion on the table that must be destroyed and is not on a location that is about to break.
Best for: Ninjas, Dinosaurs, Pirates. This site is great for Ninjas, because they can easily aim for second and if needed, play a Shinobi for a possible win. Dinosaurs are just very strong and they will probably go for the win right away and Pirates can move Pirate King in if they need the win.

Rhodes Plaza Mall [Zombies] (24/0-0-0)
When this base scores, each player gains 1 VP for each minion that player has here.
Strategy: This location is for swarming factions only. If you do not have a swarming ability, leave this location alone and let the swarmers do all the work by themselves. And if they are close to breaking the base, try to screw them up by destroying a lot of minions or changing the base.
Best for: Robots, Zombies, Tricksters. Robots and Zombies are probably the only factions that really enjoy this site, with Robots being favorite by far to win this site. Tricksters can get into the fun by blocking the base for other players and use Enshrouding Mist to play multiple minions on here as well.

School of Wizardry [Magicians] (20/3-2-1)
After this base scores, the winner looks at the top three cards of the base deck, chooses one to replace this base, and returns the others in any order.
Strategy: This is a very strong site and so you want to win this one. With an average breaking point is is open for all.
Best for: Robots, Zombies, Ninjas. These factions are probably the best fractions to win bases. They get plenty of power out quickly so they are the best to win bases. Other factions usually come in second on important locations. Again, definitely not a Magician site.

Tar Pits [Dinosaurs] (16/4-3-2)
After each time a minion is destroyed here, place it at the bottom of its owner's deck.
Strategy: There is only one strategy here...destroy zombies here!
Best for: Dinosaurs, Robots, Tricksters. Dinosaurs are good on this site for the low breaking points. Robots go through their deck so quickly that they don't mind getting cards on the bottom of their deck and Tricksters can screw around on this base and have minions get destroyed here all the time.

Temple of Goju [Ninjas] (18/2-3-2)
After this base scores, place each player's highest power minion here on the bottom of its owner's deck.
Strategy: Don't put out strong minions here if you can't get your deck shuffled or draw down your deck quickly enough.
Best for: Magicians, Robots, Tricksters. Magicians don't have strong minions and they draw through their deck really quick and are able to shuffle their deck. Robots get through their deck pretty quickly as well and they can shuffle their strong Microbots back in their deck. Tricksters hardly have strong, important minions and they just screw with bases if needed.

Tortuga [Pirates] (21/4-3-2)
The runner up may move one of his or her minions to the base that replaces this base.
Strategy: Getting second on this base is probably more rewarding than winning this base. Having complete control of your strength at all times is the best way to go here.
Best for: Pirates, Ninjas, Dinosaurs. Pirates can move and destroy on this base and can really do well to aim for second place. Ninjas have Shinobi so they have a pretty great control of in what place they wanna end on a location. Dinosaurs do not have that control, but they have the best minions that they want to move to another base.

This were all the locations. As you might see, some factions have more advantage on more bases than other factions. Robots might have a lot of locations that are good for them, while Magicians hardly have any locations that really help them. But you can definitely get a good idea of what locations you should aim for depending on what factions you are using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post, and I'm sorry to be a word nazi but it's "faction", not "fraction".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Birch
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Blair46 wrote:
Great post, and I'm sorry to be a word nazi but it's "faction", not "fraction".

No worries, I need to work on my English anyways since I will be moving to the US soon, so every help I will take. Think I edited them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for being nitpicky. I really do enjoy this and to other post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be in the Strategy forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Sousa Campos
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So doing a little math:

Magicians - 2 bases
Aliens - 3 bases
Dinosaurs - 5 bases
Zombies - 6 bases
Tricksters - 7 bases
Pirates - 8 bases
Ninjas - 8 bases
Robots - with 9 bases FTW

Now we just need for someone to combine this with the combos post, so we can find the "ultimate" combo for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Birch
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Noctemsorrow wrote:
So doing a little math:

Magicians - 2 bases
Aliens - 3 bases
Dinosaurs - 5 bases
Zombies - 6 bases
Tricksters - 7 bases
Pirates - 8 bases
Ninjas - 8 bases
Robots - with 9 bases FTW

Now we just need for someone to combine this with the combos post, so we can find the "ultimate" combo for the game.

I am working on a new file actually to make some kind of calculation for what faction is the best with everything taken into consideration, but takes a bit to get that all done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Strategy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Stralau
msg tools
Hello Jasper!

Thank you very much for writing all your thoughts down to the perspective location cards. I would like to suggest something in addition; Although the Alien "Terraforming" has a lot of defensive potential with different locations in different situations, I found the two Ninja-locations very useful to terraform for two purposes:

1. It prevents your opponent from getting more VPs (2 instead of say 5)
2. It grants you 1 VP more than your opponent PLUS the Temple of Goju is generally useful and in particular against Zombie-decks. Even the Ninja Dojo does not hurt you as much as an Alien-player (this is situational – but from my personal experience it does not make a difference most of the time)

It is just an option I wanted to point out ;)

Best greetings from Berlin,
Krokobold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I would add that the mushroom kingdom is an EXCELLENT killing field for the Bears. Sticking High Ground here means that anyone can kill any (enemy) minion they want at the start of their turn. This was tons of fun in the 5 player game I played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
JohnnyCwtb wrote:
I would add that the mushroom kingdom is an EXCELLENT killing field for the Bears. Sticking High Ground here means that anyone can kill any (enemy) minion they want at the start of their turn. This was tons of fun in the 5 player game I played.

Fun for the Bears I bet seeing how they are excluded from "can kill any (enemy) minion they want". Once this happens the Mushroom Kingdom should break very fast as there are really no other safe havens where players can play minions. What would be truly Cruel would be Trickster Bear Calvary with both the Leprechaun and High Ground on the Mushroom Kingdom. Nowhere to run and nowhere to hide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very interesting, especially, since according to your evaluation, there are bases that aren't actually best for the factions they belong to (which I thought to be the case).

The odd locations seem to be the Magicians' and one of the Ninja's:
- The Great Library & School of Wizardry
- Temple of Goju

Considering, we've a bunch of new locations from various expansions, now, which, do you think would be best for the Magicians?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.