Subject: Advice on running a Crokinole tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You are full of poisonous refuse and insane foolishness.
badge
I had not supposed or expected your arrogant spirit to seek such a ridiculous and childish reason for lying; you should have better reasons.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently been asked to run a Crokinole tournament at one of our local conventions. Having never done this before, does anyone have any advice for me? I was thinking one-on-one rather than teams, a round robin pool play in the beginning, and ending with a bracket.

Who out there has done one of these before? What sorts of issues am I going to have to deal with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not run one or even played crokinole, but one thing to consider is whether you want to value wins over losses (like the tennis U.S. Open) or value points in all rounds (like the golf U.S. Open). It can make a big difference in strategy.

Brackets, round-robin, or Swiss pairings (where winners play winners) also all make a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Round Lake Beach
Illinois
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I've recently been asked to run a Crokinole tournament at one of our local conventions. Having never done this before, does anyone have any advice for me? I was thinking one-on-one rather than teams, a round robin pool play in the beginning, and ending with a bracket.

Who out there has done one of these before? What sorts of issues am I going to have to deal with?

I'd help plan potentially, if its a con i'm going to. What con?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I had not supposed or expected your arrogant spirit to seek such a ridiculous and childish reason for lying; you should have better reasons.
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

I'd help plan potentially, if its a con i'm going to. What con?

It's the Midwinter Gaming Con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO crokinole just isn't the same game without partnerships. Managing your quadrant and also looking out and helping your partner are a big part of the game.

You could still play with changing partnerships to determine the best player by using rules that I found for running a Euchre tournament that for kicks I tweaked for crokinole.
Quote:

Tournament With Rotating Partners
To run a rotating player crokinole tournament you will need to determine either a set number of games to be played or a certain time limit, either method works just fine. Begin by numbering the tables 1,2,3,4 etc. and then draw for the seats the players will sit in. The easiest way to do this is by putting all of the player's names in a hat and draw one name at a time sitting the first person at table 1 in the first seat and continue drawing names one at a time placing players around each table. Alternatively you could just let everyone sit where they want for the first game.

Unlike the normal crokinole game where the first team to score 100 points wins, each game will end after eight rounds (each player will start twice). Sometimes you will score more than 100, sometimes less. Each person has a score card and writes their total points from that table as well as whether they were on the winning or losing side. Once the games for that round are complete the two winners from each table will get up and move to the next table in numerical order and the losers will stay at their table. On a tie the last team to score will move and both teams record a tie instead of win or lose. One of the losers will have to rotate one seat over so that one winner and one loser are on the same team this game. No two partners should play back to back games together. All games begin at the same time, so some quicker teams will wait while others finish up their game.

At the end of the tournament each player adds their total points scored in all of the games. The person with the highest total wins the tournament. If two or more people tie then their wins are compared to determine the overall winner (followed by the least losses if there is still a tie). Finally a playoff between tying players could be run to determine the final winner (using Cutthroat Crokinole rules).

You also want to be clear on the rules of play. In particular make sure players know whether the rule about having to be within the 15 circle or at least touching the 10/15 circle when no opponent's discs are on the board will be enforced. Casual players often do not include this rule. Also reminders about the one-cheek rule are best documented.

I'd recommend using square tables if possible to be sure that players have fair and equal access to their entire space. Some players may be used to faster waxed boards, so telling people what to expect upfront might help reduce surprises. You may want to spell out some player conduct as well such as whether players are allowed to touch opponents pieces (for instance to ditch pieces touching the outside line or those that were disrupted by a shot of theirs that didn't disrupt one of your pieces). Anything that could reduce disputes might help things to go smoothly.

Whatever way you decide to run the tournament I wish you the best of luck. Crokinole is a great social game so it will offer up some nice opportunities for people to casually get to know each other as they compete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Perry
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Any Game. Any Time. Anywhere. Except Bunco
mbmbmbmbmb
I have run 2 crokinole tournaments and well over 20 Heroscape tournaments. I think the best tournament format is Swiss pairings. It does take a bit of extra work on the part of the tournament director, but it tends to provide the best play value for the highest number of participants. Partnerships are good... but depending on your attendance this can severely limit pairing options. Here is a link to a simple program that I use for swiss pairings http://www.heroscapers.com/community/downloads.php?do=file&i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have to get an idea for the number of competitors, but I've decided to run match play, best of 5, to keep things moving at a decent pace. I'm going to use a yet-to-be-determined method for randomizing the start player to determine who shoots first in the first round, and then just alternating first shooters for the remainder of the game. I will keep the actual score with traditional Crokinole scoring just for tiebreakers. They will be determined first by total points and then by point differential.

I don't plan on doing anything exciting with the brackets. Just single elimination after the pool play with a consolation game for third and fourth place.

I wish I had a copy of Shocking Roulette to determine the first shooter. Perhaps I'll have to use my little spinner thing from CoolStuffInc or even Start Player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my special rules writeup for the tourmanent:

Midwinter Gaming Convention 2013
Crokinole Tournament Special Rules

• The tournament format will be round robin pool play followed by a single elimination bracket of those who advance from pool play.
• Games will be played match play style. The first player to win three rounds (round means that all 24 disks have been shot) wins the game.
• Standard Crokinole rules apply. Copies of the rules are available for review.
• Players will randomly determine the starting player using one of the supplied methods. After each round, the starting player will switch to the other player.
• Pool rules:
o Players will play three total games, one against each other member of their pool.
o The top two players from each pool will advance.
o Records will be used to determine the top players. In the event of a tie, the tiebreakers will be total point differential followed by head to head records.
• Single Elimination rules:
o Seeding will be determined using record and point differential.
o If necessary, the top player(s) will get a bye as determined by the number of players.
o Play will continue as in the pool play. Match play, first to three wins.
o A consolation prize game will be played to determine third and fourth place.
• Prizes:
o Prizes will be awarded to the top three finishers.

If there are any rule clarifications needed and there is a disagreement between the tournament organizer and Karl, Karl is wrong.

Thanks for playing and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put together an Excel spreadsheet with a printout for each player for recording their scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:

If there are any rule clarifications needed and there is a disagreement between the tournament organizer and Karl, Karl is wrong.

yuk

FWIW, I thought the REST of those tournament rules worked really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ratpfink wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

yuk

FWIW, I thought the REST of those tournament rules worked really well.

Well, I happen to disagree with you. In that instance, the rules clearly state that you are wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the files I used for the tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.