7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: DIY Sci-Fi Micro-Armor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
solipsist gaming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm creating some 1/300 scale futuristic fighting vehicles using the same general techniques I posted for miniature spaceships. Here's some pics of the progress and the method.

The first shot below shows the simple undercarriage for three of the four tanks right out of the oven. They're constructed of Sculpey, Super-Sculpey and the wheels will be styrene discs. The next two shots show my Super-Sculpey slabs with the panel lines scribed in. I pressed these into a slab of modeling clay and filled the resulting depression with resin. I repeated this three times to create four tanks total for a platoon.

Next are some shots of one cast hull and turret. The undercarriage has yet to be attached and the vehicle is still very rough, as I need to take a file, blade and sandpaper to the edges to make them sharp. Also, I obviously still need to add the main gun, but I think it's recognizable as a sci-fi tank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a question on my blog regarding the process, specifically regarding impression molds. A picture explains better than I can, so here's a shot of the impression molds made for one tank hull and all four turrets. I simply mashed my master shapes (shown in the first post) into modeling clay to make these impressions, which were filled with resin.

The component parts are primed and ready for paint. I think they're starting to look like tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for individual bases and maybe some decals for insignia, the tanks are complete.

I'll post the large versions of these pictures to my gallery.

The tanks required only about 60 drops of resin each from a medicine dropper. Thus, even though resin costs about $20 to $30, the material cost of each tank is so low that one could make literally hundreds of miniatures from that investment. The highest cost involved for this technique is time. Although the impression molding method allows one to create and duplicate a design in an insanely short time (less than maybe 10 minutes, versus 48 hour mold cure time for 10:1 RTV silicone), the set-up (making Sculpey stamps, preparing the work area, gathering the right tools) takes some work and trial and error.

My final question is: what game rules do I use these with? I have Dirtside II, but what else?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your work keeps getting better and better. What is your list of materials these days? I'm still stuck back on your dark age methods of water putty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those minis look AMAZING!

pahoota wrote:
My final question is: what game rules do I use these with? I have Dirtside II, but what else?

I'm partial to Future War Commander, with its included lists that cover just about any force you'd see in a SF ground battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words all!

Vanish wrote:
Your work keeps getting better and better. What is your list of materials these days? I'm still stuck back on your dark age methods of water putty

I'm casting with Alumilite Super-Plastic and the clay I pour it into is Plastalina by Van Aken.

I've read a lot of good things about Future War Commander. I'll check that out maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.