$10.00
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping that I missed or misinterpreted some rules, because I'm confused on some things:

Are there are any rules/requirements to limit equipment based on class? Maybe ability requirements or something?

It seems strange to me for a Thief to pickup a Rune and start making ranged attacks with it, or a Necromancer to swing his Iron BattleAxe when he's not busy raising the dead. There's nothing preventing anyone from purchasing a magic lightning bolt and using it as if it was some kind of crossbow?

Also, are "Shop Items" picked up via a search token treasure chest permanent additions to the character? (i.e., does he get to keep the Shop Item he found after the encounter ends?)

Finally, I'm a little confused on the rules for the limits of fatigue and death. They seem awfully generous and no big deal at all. If you get fatigue up to your stamina, you just have to perform a rest action to remove it all. And you can do this along with another action, such as an attack. Doesn't this seem, I don't know, sort of easy, and almost not worth tracking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any class can use any weapon, but you will notice that some class cards tend to emphasize certain types of weapons; otherwise the ability can't be used, for example. There is not a direct limitation.

An item acquired by a Treasure Chest is permanent, and can be traded amongst the heroes.

As far as fatigue, have you played this game yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you have all of the rules correct so far, but you may not quite understand the gravity of them all.

Like Dustin said, while any class may use any weapon, certain classes are better suited for some weapons over others. A Wildlander will make better use of a Bow than any other class, and conversely, a Wildlander without a Bow would be severely limited in her abilities. Of her nine available skills, only three of them do not require a Bow.

As far as being defeated goes (*death* doesn't occur for the heroes until the Finale), it is true that when a hero is defeated, he takes fatigue up to his Stamina, and a single Rest action clears all fatigue, but what you may not be considering is that the hero team loses 2-3 actions from being defeated if you do this every time. It takes one action to Revive a hero (or two actions for a defeated hero to perform a Stand Up action), and then another action to Rest, and even then, fatigue is not recovered until the end of that hero's turn. Additionally, the Overlord draws an Overlord Card for every hero that is defeated. Lastly, unless the hero was revived with a Health Potion, he is generally only 2-6 HP away from being defeated again, which can get brutal if all of the heroes' actions are being spent just reviving and resting.

The quests in Descent 2e generally take somewhere between 6 and 10 turns (with some taking as few as 1 turn). To lose 2-3 actions with only that many turns is pretty detrimental to your chances at winning the encounter/quest. While it may not feel like a huge punishment since a defeated hero can always be revived and rest, the effects of losing those actions can be huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some wonkiness to the rest mechanic. For example, consider Leoric. He has 5 stamina and only 4 movement. That means he can actually move faster by spending all his stamina to fatigue-move and then taking a rest action than he can by just taking a move action. Of course, since the fatigue is not removed until end of turn, he had better not need to take any for his second action.

In general, though, I think it balances pretty well. Fatigue is something your heroes will find themselves wanting to take a lot of, but if they find themselves taking so much that they need to rest every turn then that is consuming 50% of their actions, which is probably not going to be a very efficient use of actions. Most people don't end up just spending it freely but also don't find a need to hoard it, which is a good place to be at since it makes the decisions meaningful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright. It's good to know I'm not missing anything. You're right in that I can't recognize the impact of some of these penalties yet, but I had also been missing the part about the Overlord drawing a card when a hero falls. That can be huge. Thank you for point it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darren - great answer. There is not much to add.

However. I wonder why are you (lordrahvin) confused after playing just 'firs blood'. In first quest you have only basic equipment (which you cannot trade with other heroes). I don't know how many 'Treasure chests' are in search deck but I am after third quest and so far we reveled it only once.
lordrahvin wrote:
Are there are any rules/requirements to limit equipment based on class? Maybe ability requirements or something?
I would emphasize other limitations.
Price. We play four heroes and in our last (third) quest two of us were still using basic equipment.
Equipment limits and Equip items phase.

As to the 'Rest action'. I can only repeat after others. It's not just 'Rest action'. It takes half of your turn, and hero recovers after both actions are completed. One action is a lot, believe me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignipes wrote:
I don't know how many 'Treasure chests' are in search deck but I am after third quest and so far we reveled it only once.

Only one, but then there are only 12 cards in the search deck. It's not too hard to draw it every quest if you're willing to abuse the Appraisal skill a bit to dig for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have Appraisal on your team.

Also remember you never reshuffle search deck during quest, even between encounters or when it runs out of cards. Still, there are only 12 search cards, and usually 8 spaces to loot - you can use Appraisal 4 times and not run out of cards. "Nothing" is always good to get rid of (But Lair of the Wyrm doesn't have "Nothing").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.