Subject: Are armour values in milimeters or inches? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carmela Jimenez
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for this game, and I wonder if the armor values in data cards are either in inches, milimiters or any other metric system?whistle

And those measures are equivalent to what kind of armor: steel, Rolled homogeneous armour, composite armour, etc?gulp

sincerely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
darthvader170 wrote:
I'm looking for this game, and I wonder if the armor values in data cards are either in inches, milimiters or any other metric system?whistle

And those measures are equivalent to what kind of armor: steel, Rolled homogeneous armour, composite armour, etc?gulp

sincerely.

The values on the data cards are a calculated factor, not specifically millimeters or inches. The factor is based on the actual armor adjusted for slope and the angle of incidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim's answer is authoritative enough, but just for comparing values to tank specs, you can get a decent approximation from -

adjusted thickness = (1/Cos(angle from vertical)) * base thickness.

Then the armor values are roughly 1 per 4.5mm of adjusted thickness. Roughly, though - some will come out 4.2 and some 4.8 etc.

The rising shot and falling shot lines, and the side angle shots for front side aspect and similar, add about 5 degrees to the armor angles above (for rising and front-side aspect), while lowering that angle by about 5 degrees for a falling shot.

Not perfect (the real effects of slope vary from the pure cosine formula a little, armor comes in different varieties in quality, hardness, face hardening terms etc, and is sometimes two layered plates rather than one integral plate; some locations have multiple thicknesses on different portions of the area, some turrets are rounded rather than a single angle and thus effectively give a random impact angle - etc etc, this stuff can get arbitrarily complicated - and that's just the armor side, there are also variations on the ammo side, round diameter length and velocity, different modes of failure like round shatter to consider, also armor failing by shatter when overmatched by a large heavy shell - shell diameter greater than armor thickness e.g. - versus by "drill through" for narrower high energy rounds, different caps on shells that "grip" sloped armor better, etc etc), but the approximation above will get you in the ballpark.

I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.