Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Harris
United Kingdom
Chester-le-Street
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just completed a game of this with grandson Kaden, eight, and his mother Sam, twentysomething. This was our second game since Kaden unwrapped it on Christmas morning, and we know now that playing it the 'proper' Monopoly way - that is, build up slowly, grab sets whenever possible and develop them up to the eyeballs so to squeeze opponents into bankruptcy - doesn't work here, since the game ends before any of these tactics can come to fruition. However, we certainly weren't ready for what happened here.
Kaden went first and shot off round the board, managing to avoid every property space, instead landing on 'Chance' or 'Millionaire Lifestyle' spaces where he invariably picked up £50k or £100k. The only property he did buy was 'Treehouse Retreat', (the first green after 'Go To Jail') - in fact, this was the only space he bought all game.
Passing Go, he took his salary and immediately upgraded. His roll took him to yet another 'Chance' space; the card was 'Advance to Go', where he took his salary and upgraded again. At this point his mother and I were barely at 'Free Parking', and had a sprinkling of properties between us. Kaden continued to blast around the board; he didn't bother buying anything else, instead letting we two go to auction for them. He was easily able to pay any paltry rents we demanded, and passed 'Go' twice more picking up a quarter of a million each time. I meanwhile had struggled round the board once and had upgraded: his mother had landed on 'Go to Jail' twice and was yet to pass 'Go'. We were still attempting to play the game as we think it's meant to be played, using the Fortune cards to take properties from one another or avoid paying rent, but by now knew it was hopeless. Kaden passed 'Go to Jail' once more and we asked him to check his money: he had over £950,000! Throw nine or more on his next turn and he'd win - and that's just what he did!
Several people on these forums have complained that this game is over too quickly - bizarrely, for a Monopoly game - and inevitably Sam, who was just getting into it, asked if we could play on to see who came second. Kaden agreed to carry on, so off we went. We were just getting sets sorted out, building multiple houses on properties and starting to take meaty rents from each other and from Kaden, while he still only had 'Treetop Retreat', but he had so much money now it made little difference. He simply went round and round, picking up a quarter of a million every time he passed 'Go'. Eventually the bank ran out of £100,000 notes, so Kaden had to loan it £1m.
We had another cash check. I was still only on about £600,000, while both Sam and Kaden each only needed about £50k to reach one million - for Kaden, his second million. There was some excitement for a few turns, wondering whether one of them would reach 'Go', or if I would have to pay rent to one or the other and so end it. As it happened, Sam got there first so came second.
So it seems this is a game of pure luck. During the latter, 'see who comes second' part, Kaden barely looked at the game, paying more attention to his new iPad, and STILL almost won twice over. Next time we play I'm trying a new tactic - don't buy anything, just run around the board four times and the game's yours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Harris
United Kingdom
Chester-le-Street
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've now played this four more times with the same players: me, Kaden and Kaden's mum Sam. Each time Kaden simply ran round and round the board, refusing to buy anything, just collecting his money every time he passed Go. He won three out of those four times. In the one session he failed to win, we other two managed to build up couple of sets each to three hotels; Kaden landing on these several times proved to be his downfall.
Verdict: this game is definitely broken. Don't buy anything, hope for high rolls and 'Advance to Go' cards, and you'll win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kozz Kozzy
msg tools
I have to agree. This game is horibly broken dont buy it !!! . It could work maybe if they put 2-5 milions as win condition but there is not sufuctient money for that in box .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozzy wrote:
I have to agree. This game is horibly broken dont buy it !!! . It could work maybe if they put 2-5 milions as win condition but there is not sufuctient money for that in box .

I'm sure it would be easy enough to use other tokens to count as larger sums of money such as 500,000. This would make it possible to play to larger sums with the money included in the game.

The game does seem to be broken at 1,000,000. I have a feeling though that if you did increase the goal to something much more substantial it would address a lot of the problems, of people just zipping around the board not buying anything.

Another possible fix would be to use 1 die, rather than 2 dice per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.