Popular Tags: [View All]
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
WEIRD WAR FOR BOLT ACTION
badge
ROBOT TROOPER SAYS LETS KICK IVANS BUTT!
mbmbmbmbmb
As I have been a full grown adult for quite a few years now I find it diffucult to grasp the fact that there can be people out there who are generally smaller than I am who dont know how to play monopoly. I find it equally difficult trying to teach adult games to children and expect to be able to play the game with them in a way that is competitive and fun for myself and the child. I honestly dont mind nerfing my own chances for the childs enjoyment, but I think the experience is much better when the child knows you arent letting them win.

Junior monopoly is great for this, as it is pretty much the core of monopoly, but misses out some of the more complex financial sutiations that are really just depressing in the real world.

Ok, so whats in the box? Well, not a lot. There is a board, chance cards, property cards, and money (all 1's) like traditional monopoly. There is also a small box to put money in and some plastic presents to replace houses and hotels. The playing peices are cupcakes.

How does this differ? Well the game is a lot quicker. The cost of property is the same as the fine for landing on it when it is owned, meaning that money changes hands at a much faster rate. The game is also over when one person becomes the first player to be bankrupt. Our games lasted typically about 15 minutes.

Will adults like it? Its not a lot different to proper monopoly and in fact is a lot less tedious. It doesnt have the same depth but it is certainly a lot more enjoyable than most games aimed at young children. You can throw snakes and ladders in the bin.

Will kids like it? If they like board games, then yes. It will have more of a feeling of playing a proper game with grown ups if the grown ups arent all being overly fake or bored. The game isnt too long lasting, and set up and put away is pretty quick. One downpoint is that there arent any spare parts included and losing 1 present or property card will make the game unplayable without proxies.

I gave up trying to get kids to play adult games, and women to play nerd games a long time a go. Unless your kids are tiny genius's (I know) then maybe dropping down to their level might be a better way to introduce them to something you love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My 3-year old LOVES this game. She could play it all day. She likes to act out the parties she lands on (and expects me to do so as well). I absolutely abhor Monopoly and this version has no choices whatsoever, but it's freakin' hilarious to play with her.

My 6-year old is meh on it (prefers Survive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeke
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son raves about this game, which he plays quite a bit at day care. I only have regular monopoly and klingon monopoly but would like to make my own version: klingon monopoly junior party edition that is close to this.

My current understanding of the rules differences from your review:

1) rent is the amount you pay for the property
2) first person to go bankrupt ends the game

My questions

1) how do the present boxes modify rent? Is there a "hotel box" and a "house box" or do they all do the same thing?
2) Do the present boxes also show who owns a property, or are there deeds like in regular (or klingon) monopoly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeke
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answered my own question!

full rules for monopoly junior can be downloaded at

http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/monojr.pdf

The presents denote ownership, and there are no deeds, hotels or houses to keep track of.

If someone owns every property of one color, then rent is DOUBLE (just like in normal/klingon monopoly).

So all I have to do is find some colored cubes for the presents, and we are good to go on Junior Klingon Monopoly.

Money is in denominations of 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. You get $2 for going past GO!.

I think I am going to just lop off the extra zero at the end of everything so that boardwalk, for instance, costs 40 instead of 400. Going past go should probably earn $20 to stay relevant.

Will try to give it a go the next time we have a game night!

Thanks for the great review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.