Subject: First play (solo) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
This came out a little longer than I expected.

My copy of DCDB came in the mail today, and I had no choice but to immediately get it out and give it a spin. The super heroes are smaller than I expected and the card backs are kind of ugly. Still, I'm super excited. There's nobody else around, so I will have to play alone. My variant is as suggested by one of the CZ employees on this board: try to beat the whole villain stack in 20 turns.
I timed the setup (~5 minutes) and randomly shuffled myself a character (Cyborg). And here's how it went down. Please let me know any thoughts you have on my first play. I'm interested in feedback and I'd like to know what I could have done differently.

Turn #1
Super-Villain:
Ra's Al-Ghul
Line-Up: Lobo, Two-Face, Super Speed, Supergirl, Lasso of Truth
Hand: Punch (x5)
So much for my chances of beating Ra's on turn one. I like Supergirl and want her card in my deck (free kicks), but I go with Super Speed and Lasso of Truth, for use with Cyborg's powers.

Turn #2
Line-Up:
Lobo, Two-Face, High-Tech Hero, Supergirl, (another) Super Speed
Hand: Punch x2, Vulnerability x3
I can only afford Two-Face, but I'm not sure about his usefulness. I suppose the gambling aspect will be fun to try. What's the thought on buying a card every turn no matter what? Is it a good idea or a bad one? And, how soon can I get that Lobo?

Turn #3
Line-Up:
Lobo, (another) Two-Face, High-Tech Hero, Supergirl, Super Speed
Hand: Punch x3, Lasso, Super Speed.
I swear that I shuffled the deck. Super Speed to draw a Punch. Tricky choice here, I finally decide to Lasso Supergirl and punch her until she joins my team. Well, maybe these cards shouldn't be taken too literally. I later realized that I forgot to use both of Cyborg's powers. Live and learn.

Turn #4
Line-Up:
Lobo, Two-Face, High-Tech Hero, the Bat Signal, Super Speed
Hand: Punch x2, Vulnerability x2, Two-Face
My first Two-Face gamble! I pick even, because my deck is still mostly 0. Sure enough I draw a Punch. I take HTH with an eye towards getting Super Speed next turn.

Turn #5
Line-Up:
Lobo, Two-Face, Mera, the Bat Signal, Super Speed
Hand: Vulnerability x2, Punch, Supergirl, Super Speed
Supergirl for a kick, Super Speed for +1 Power and a Vulnerability. Buy Super Speed, and I'm thinking about that Bat-Signal next turn.

Turn #6
Line-Up:
Lobo, Two-Face, Mera, the Bat Signal, Robin
Hand: Two Face, Punch x2, Lasso, HTH
I thought I'd be closer to beating Ra's by now. Lasso to draw punch, HTH for +3, Two-Face (even) Draw Punch, 9 total power. Bye, Ra's. I consider the power gained from vilain cards to represent the experience I gained defeating them. That, or the whole game is a Secret Wars type free for all battle.

Turn #7
New Super-Villain:
The Anti-Monitor. My hand has three cards that cost >0, I send Two-Face back, he's the cheapest.
Line-Up: Two-Face, Lobo, Two-Face, Mera, the Bat Signal, Robin
Hand:: Punch x2, HTH, Super Speed.
I could have played Super Speed to outrun the Anti-Monitor's attack, couldn't I? Oh well again. Super Speed, draw another Super Speed, shoo the cat away, Super Speed, draw Supergirl, HTH, Supergirl, reclaim Lobo from the cat, draw a kick, 8 power. Tempted to buy Lobo for card destruction and +3 power, but I get Robin and the Bat Signal instead.

Turn #8
Line-Up:
Two-Face, Lobo, Two-Face, Mera, Super Speed
Hand:: Punch x3, Vulnerability x2
Mera looks nice, plus she used to be a deputy Red Lantern (I love Red Lanterns). But I think I'll go with another Super Speed. Cyborg is really fast in this game.

Turn #9
Line-Up:
Two-Face, Lobo, Two-Face, Mera, Scarecrow
Hand:: Lasso, Vulnerability, Kick, Punch x2
The first villain with an attack appears in the line-up. I presume I just ignore it, but I might do a variant of the "on patrol" rule and just apply the attack to myself in the future. Lasso of truth to draw Ra's, Guess I'll buy Lobo this time.

Turn #10
Line-Up:
: Two-Face, Fortress of Solitude, Two-Face, Mera, Scarecrow
Hand:: Ra's Punch x2, Speed, Kick
My first location enters play, and I want it. Speed draws HTH and I think that I might be able to beat Anti-Monitor, but I'm one power short. I choose Fortress, Mera, Kick. Now I need Scarecrow, the former Yellow Lantern.

Turn #11
Line-Up:
Two-Face, Suicide Squad, Two-Face, Utility Belt, Scarecrow
Hand:: Vulnerability x3, Bat-Signal, Supergirl
I just noticed that Kick is a Super Power. I can kick in RL! I'm a super hero! Or, am I a super villain...? I noticed that Suicide Squad is a Villain, despite all the good that the team did in the 80's Ostrander series. Anyway, play Supergirl for a Kick, bat signal to draw Lasso and fish HTH out of the Discard. I like Cyborg's Super Hero power, even though the equipment part's wording feels iffy. 7 power for Utility belt and Two Face.

Turn #12
Line-Up:
Two-Face, Suicide Squad, Arkham Asylum, Penguin, Scarecrow
Hand: Lobo, Robin, Super Speed x2, Kick
I'm starting to feel time crunched, so I want to buy more cards that give greater than one power. Each Super Speed gives a punch. Robin fetches me the Bat-Signal, which fetches me HTH and draws me a punch. Finally, Lobo lets me destroy 2 Vulnerabilities from the Discard pile. 14 power lets be barely defeat Anti-Monitor. I have two power left over

Turn #13
Super-Villain:
Joker. I discard Vulnerability into my own discard, because I don't know what else to do with his attack.
Line-Up: Two-Face, Suicide Squad, Arkham Asylum, Penguin, Scarecrow
Hand: Punch x3, Ra's.
I almot purchased Suicide Squad, but decided on two kicks.

Turn #14
Line-Up:
Two-Face, Suicide Squad, Arkham Asylum, Penguin, Scarecrow
Hand:
This game needs some kind of Line-Up changing mechanic, because I'm never buying these cards. Lasso draws Robin, Robin and Bat Signal go to waste without heroes or equipment in my discard. Lobo destroys my last vulnerability from the discard. Anti-Monitor will destroy Penguin and Two-Face from the lineup. 9 power leaves me one short of the Joker, so I get Arkham and Suicide Squad.

Turn #15
Line-Up:
Aquaman's Trident, Bat Signal, Bulletproof, Zatanna, Scarecrow.
Hand:: Two Face, Punch, Super Speed, Mera, Fortress of Solitude.
Sudden death time. I have to KO one villain per turn from now on, or evil wins. Fortress of Solitude. Super Speed draws two: HTH and Speed. Speed gets me a Kick, I play Two Face and guess even. It's Supergirl and she gives me a Kick. 12 power beats the Joker. Evil hasn't won yet.

Turn #16
New Super-Villain:
Parallax - I discard two punches
Line-Up: Aquaman's Trident, Bat Signal, Bulletproof, Zatanna, Scarecrow.
Hand:: Utility Belt, Super Speed, Kick
I think Evil wins. Super Speed for a kick. Darnit, I forgot to discard Super Speed to avoid the Super-Villain attack AGAIN. Sigh. Utility belt draws a card, kick. 9 power, Bat-Signal and Bulletproof. While reshuffling my deck at the end of the turn, I notice that Zatanna's artwork is classic Zatanna, not Nu52 Zatanna. I approve.

Turn #17
Line-Up:
Aquaman's Trident, Utility Belt, Zatanna, Zatanna, Scarecrow.
Hand:: super Speed x2, Joker, Lasso, Ra's
Super speed draws a kick and another SS, Lasso draws another kick, two more Super Speeds for two more punches. 13 power kills Parallax.

Turn #18
New Super-Villain:
Black Manta. I destroy a kick, but the cat is asleep on the rulebook, so I don't know if it goes to the kick pile or now. I just set it out of play.
Line-Up: Aquaman's Trident, Utility Belt, Zatanna, Zatanna, Scarecrow.
Hand: Punch, Kick, Robin, Bat-Signal, Anti-Monitor
Robin for Lasso from the discard, Lasso to draw HTH, no heroes in discard for Bat Signal. 11 power for Black Manta and Aquaman's Trident.

Turn #19
New Super-Villain:
Captain Cold
Line-Up: Penguin, Utility Belt, Zatanna, Zatanna, Scarecrow.
Hand: Arkham, Two-Face, Bulletproof, Punch x2
Arkham, Bulletproof draws Supergirl draws Kick. Two Face draws lobo. I choose even and get Kick, an odd. Lobo lets me destroy two punches from discard. 10 power beats Captain Cold.

Turn #20
New Super-Villain:
Lex Luthor gives me two weaknesses.
Line-Up: Penguin, Utility Belt, Zatanna, Zatanna, Scarecrow.
Hand: Punch x2, kick, Suicide Squad, and Bat-Signal
Bat Signal lets me fetch HTH, draw a Kick, 13 power, Luthor is dead.

However, it's game over. I beat 7 of the 8 Super villains, only to be defeated by Atrocitus. Final deck score: 61 unless you count Locations in play, then 63.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael A

California
msg tools
Great report man. Looking forward to trying solo myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sanders
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report ... gonna give this a whirl later ...

Just wondering though, does anyone have any idea about these though?

DrNate wrote:

The first villain with an attack appears in the line-up. I presume I just ignore it

I destroy a kick...so I don't know if it goes to the kick pile or now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kicks technically do not go back in pile (though it really doesn't matter in solo plays)
since there is no official solo variant there is no official rule on the attacks but most people play that you ignore them, for a tougher challenge you can play them against you like the 'on patrol' variant in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
If I ever get good enough that I can with in 20 turns or less, I will try the variant with the villain attacks. Maybe I will play full "on patrol" variant. Meanwhile, I just took a few quick notes from the second solo game:

I should mention here that I played Batman this time.

1: I can afford NOTHING - How often does that happen?
2: Power Ring
3: Aquaman's Trident
4: Nth Metal
5: Green Arrow
6: Mera & Suicide Squad. Ra's first close call. How soon should I be defeating him?
7: 7 power again. Bulletproof and Penguin. I was forgetting to use Batman's Superhero power with Power Ring, didn't realize it was equipment.
8: Blue Beetle
9: 7 power for the third time in four turns. Super Strength.
10: 7 Power, Suicide Squad and Cheetah
11: 7 Power, Batcave and Two-Face
12: 8 Power! Thank you, Blue Beetle! Ra's.
13: Deathstroke
14: I'm remembering to dodge attacks this time. Clayface and Black Manta
15: 3 power means evil wins. Nth Metal
16: Catwoman and Luthor
17: Anti-Monitor and Kid Flash. 14 power is probably my personal high for a singleturn.
18: Cape & Cowl, N'th Metal
19: Brainiac
20: 15 Power, a new record. Captain Cold.

7 out of 8 villains again, missed it by Atrocitus again. 66 power. Didn't buy a single kick, oddly enough. Next game, a three way with the DC trinity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nanthachack
United States
Freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool to see someone map out their whole solo game like this. If you want to play solo a lot, I made up a way for solo players to get some use out of a lot of the villains with Attacks.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10808718#10808718

The way I play the solo game is to use the weaknesses as your timer, in that you flip one over at the start of your turn. Whenever you destroy a weakness that was put in your deck, you would put it back on top of the timer.

The game's a lot of fun, I'm almost regretting giving it as a present to a friend (I sleeved the cards for him!) but I plan to get Crypto's LotR deck builder when it comes out, so it's all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the link. These modifications are nice, I was thinking of doing something similar, but since you already did the hard work, I will be content to just sit back and reap the benefits.

As a side note, I played with three last night: Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. She ran away with the game, either we had a lucky run of villains or her power is really, really awesome. Batman came in dead last. Again, either bad luck with equipment or else he isn't very awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrNate wrote:
Thanks for the link. These modifications are nice, I was thinking of doing something similar, but since you already did the hard work, I will be content to just sit back and reap the benefits.

As a side note, I played with three last night: Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. She ran away with the game, either we had a lucky run of villains or her power is really, really awesome. Batman came in dead last. Again, either bad luck with equipment or else he isn't very awesome.

Take that back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.