Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, people!

I have 2 questions regarding two different things:

1) The Necromancer has one skill that allows him to suffer wounds instead of his Reanimate and the other way around also. The question is about the words: all damage. It is said that the Reanimate (or the Necromancer) receive all the damage given. But this works on the basis of 1 by 1? To put in another way:

- The Necromancer has 5 life points. The Reanimate has 4.
- One monster attacks the Necromancer and deals 8 points of damage.
- The Necromancer uses his skill to pass the damage to the Reanimate.
Now:
1 - Does the Reanimate receives 4 points of damage, then it is destroyed, and the other 4 points of damage goes to the Necromancer?
or
2 - Does the Reanimate receives 8 points of damage, then it is destroyed, and the the Necromancer remains unharmed?

We went with the 1 option. But the Necromancer player argued that since the attack happens, well, in one blow, that 1 by 1 basis shouldn't work - it was like the Reanimate suffered the blow, not the Necromancer. However, even thematic, it can be seen that the option 1 makes sense also (energy is transferred to the Reanimate to the point it is destroyed, the rest passes through and hit the Necromancer).

Second question:

- The Staff of Light has the ability of healing 1 life point and 1 fatigue. This means that, when the weapon is used in an attack (like, you chance your normal attack for the use of the Staff), it activates this ability, or that it needs to be activated (it has the symbol of action on it) only for the purpose of healing (thus costing one different action)?

Thanks a bunch!

Regards,

Edit: To make the questions clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the necromancer I have always played it that the entire attack effects transfer onto either the reanimate or the necromance. So we play by option 2 in your examples.

The Staff of Light requires an action to activate the ability to grant 1hp and fatigue to all heroes within 3 spaces. So to use that ability costs an action leaving the hero with 1 remaining action on that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Elfving
Denmark
Randers NØ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very interesting question.

According to the FAQ:

Q: Can monster abilities that are not attacks affect familiars that are treated
as figures?
A: Yes, any hero or monster ability, monster attack, or Overlord card that
targets a hero can also target a familiar that is treated as a figure. Quest
special rules that refer to heroes do not include familiars that are treated
as figures unless specifically stated.

This indicates option 2 as it is treated as a seperate figure
But if that is the case, then if the damage where 2 points, then The Necromancer would decide if he or the reanimate would take all the damage, not spilt it 50/50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) It's called Dark Pact. A search of the Rules forum found this earlier thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/846844/dark-pact-necromancer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Obi is (IMHO) correct on both counts.

1. Dark Pact states...
"Each time you suffer damage, you may have your Reanimate suffer all of the damage instead..."

...if some hopped up Ettin thumps you for 8, then you'll be passing all that damage on to the Reanimate. The fact that it can only handle 4 makes no difference. The excessive 4 points just makes an extra mess of your poor undead pal.

The damage doesn't siphon through from the hit one point at a time. The mere fact that is says "all" damage makes this clear.
All damage, taken 1 point at a time, until the Reanimate dies, then Necro takes the remainder ... just makes no sense.

2. The Special Staff Action, healing fat and health, is certainly separate from the Attack Action in which you zap an enemy with the staff.

Edit... spelling error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are overcomplicating.
tiagoVIP wrote:
Does the Reanimate receives 4 points of damage, then it is destroyed, and the other 4 points of damage goes to the Necromancer?
'Dark Pact' card says 'all' and 'instead'.
All means all.
Instead means instead.
There is really nothing to doubt.
(Damage are dealt all at a time, not one by one.)

tiagoVIP wrote:
The Staff of Light has the ability of healing 1 life point and 1 fatigue. This means that (...) it needs to be activated (it has the symbol of action on it) only for the purpose of healing (thus costing one different action)?
Again. Symbol of action means that it is an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignipes wrote:

I tend to do that!

We just considered all as "all that the Reanimate is able to sustain" - more in line with a cleric (or paladin?) spell from D&D that allows him to absorb damage given to others. But he can only take as much as he has.

In the matter of the Staff, the thought behind was that some skills allows a hero to change his normal attack for a attack with something more. So the Staff wouldn't really count as a normal attack, but as a special attack that, as a kicker, heal the heroes.

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:
In the matter of the Staff, the thought behind was that some skills allows a hero to change his normal attack for a attack with something more. So the Staff wouldn't really count as a normal attack, but as a special attack that, as a kicker, heal the heroes.
As you have noticed some of skills have this sentence 'Perform an attack with...'. Staff of Light doesn't have this, only Action symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:
Ignipes wrote:

I tend to do that!

We just considered all as "all that the Reanimate is able to sustain" - more in line with a cleric (or paladin?) spell from D&D that allows him to absorb damage given to others. But he can only take as much as he has.

Regards,

If the Staff of Light's ability were a Surge ability, then you would get it upon performing an attack (assuming you got a Surge). However, since it has the action arrow, that clearly shows that its ability is its own, separate action.
Descent 2nd Edition rulebook, Page 10, Special wrote:
During quests and campaigns, heroes may acquire Search cards, Shop Item cards, or Relic cards that contain actions denoted with a [action arrow]. These actions may be performed in the same manner as using a skill on a Class card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help!

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.