Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cox
United States
Fayetteville
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I played our first game and we had some questions about some of the rules and how some cards worked. We were just using starter decks, Gallente and Caldari, and we used the recommended starbases and outer regions.

1. We were not sure how the turn went, whether we alternated doing each phase with the active player having priority or something else. So, after reading some posts I think we have it clear that only 1 player is doing their turn at a time. After each phase, except the draw phase, the other player can play cards that are allowed. So I will do my setup phase and when I am done, my opponent can play a card(s). Next, I do my Draw Phase, then I do my Management Phase. When I am completely finished with Management Phase, then my opponent can play cards. Etc. Is that correct?

2. Locations in outer regions - Does a player control them if they control the region? You do not need a ship at a location to control it and gain its ISK income, correct?

3. Khanid Kingdom - Does its text apply to all ships, no matter where they are located? We assume it does and the ISK goes to the person controlling Khanid Kingdom?
The Khanid Kingdom wrote:
When an opponent wishes to activate a ship's command, he or she must pay you 2ISK. If not, then the command cannot be activated.

4. Ship Commands - There is no way for an attacking ship to be on a command, is there? Unless there is a card or effect that makes it happen, correct?

5. Battles - If I am attacking a region that has 2 enemy ships and he withdraws one but I do not destroy the second one does another battle phase happen or do I have to withdraw? I guess I am asking if withdrawing a defending ship triggers: "If at least one defending ship has left the battle during this battle phase, start a new battle phase."

I think that is it for now.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeldavidcox wrote:
1. We were not sure how the turn went, whether we alternated doing each phase with the active player having priority or something else. So, after reading some posts I think we have it clear that only 1 player is doing their turn at a time. After each phase, except the draw phase, the other player can play cards that are allowed. So I will do my setup phase and when I am done, my opponent can play a card(s). Next, I do my Draw Phase, then I do my Management Phase. When I am completely finished with Management Phase, then my opponent can play cards. Etc. Is that correct?

Yes. One player goes through all the phases of a turn and then the next player does the same.

You were likely confused by the intricacies that come from the initiative system. Basically when it is your turn only you can play cards like ships and locations. But in each phase or step you'll say at some point "ok I'm done" (figuratively). At that point you opponent can respond by playing news cards and abilities. When he's done that you can respond with further actions. This goes back and forth until each player has passed without doing anything more. At that point all the actions resolve.

michaeldavidcox wrote:
2. Locations in outer regions - Does a player control them if they control the region? You do not need a ship at a location to control it and gain its ISK income, correct?
Correct. You control each location of all regions you control. You don't have to put a ship on them individually.

michaeldavidcox wrote:
3. Khanid Kingdom - Does its text apply to all ships, no matter where they are located? We assume it does and the ISK goes to the person controlling Khanid Kingdom?
The Khanid Kingdom wrote:
When an opponent wishes to activate a ship's command, he or she must pay you 2ISK. If not, then the command cannot be activated.
Correct.

michaeldavidcox wrote:
4. Ship Commands - There is no way for an attacking ship to be on a command, is there? Unless there is a card or effect that makes it happen, correct?
Correct. I assume you're playing the base set. The rules of the expansion make this a bit clearer:
Quote:
Before warping a ship, its commands must be deactivated. If you warp a ship into an enemy controlled region, your ship has attacked that region and cannot play any of its executed abilities, activate any of its commands, or warp again during this management phase.

michaeldavidcox wrote:
5. Battles - If I am attacking a region that has 2 enemy ships and he withdraws one but I do not destroy the second one does another battle phase happen or do I have to withdraw? I guess I am asking if withdrawing a defending ship triggers: "If at least one defending ship has left the battle during this battle phase, start a new battle phase.
Correct. If any ship leaves that region for any reason then another battle phase is triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
United States
Fayetteville
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers! This looks like a game I could really enjoy. I do just have the base set, both sets of starters (I think as I bought it from Tanga awhile back, I believe) and a booster box. Not sure if I have any Exiled cards.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a ton of cards for this game if you're looking to supplement your collection. I could never get the game to take off (ooh bad pun) with my group. I believe I even still have several unopened packs from the second set somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.