Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is spoiler filled.

It seems pretty much impossible for investigators to win this one, at least under the choices I picked. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but they had to get the crystal skull out of the house.

Seems all I had to do was constantly slow down whoever had the right key with Uncontrollable Urges to advance and they had no way to find all the clues in time. And, even if they had, UU would keep the skull bearer from reaching the door.

The only exception, I suppose, would be if the skull bearer SOMEHOW knew that getting the skull out was the goal early on. But there's no way they would.

This one seems completely broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Yes, Green-Eyed Boy is broken several times over. The keeper is 100% guaranteed victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Yes, Green-Eyed Boy is broken several times over. The keeper is 100% guaranteed victory.

So it seems. I found myself intentionally not using Uncontrollable Urges near the end to try and make it seem interesting. I waited too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Uncontrollable Urges isn't even half of it. The clue chain is far too long for the event clock - depending on the story choices, it may be too long for a dedicated clue-hunter moving at full speed to be able to get to Clue 1 before Event 4 even without keeper interference. And between Uncontrollable Urges and Loss of Will, the keeper can slow the clue down tremendously. Meanwhile, since it's such a long scenario, the keeper can attack investigators with witches no matter where they are, Loss of Will basically instakills an investigator and replaces them with a powerful monster, and there are no special healing abilities included to balance this out, it's easy for the keeper to kill off all the investigators by attrition.

Most scenarios in MoM are broken in some way, but most of them can be fixed just by modifying some of the objectives and maybe one of the keeper actions (often Summon Worshippers or Pyromaniac). The Green-Eyed Boy is a rare exception where basically the entire structure of the scenario needs to be rebuilt from scratch to work properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Uncontrollable Urges isn't even half of it. The clue chain is far too long for the event clock - depending on the story choices, it may be too long for a dedicated clue-hunter moving at full speed to be able to get to Clue 1 before Event 4 even without keeper interference. And between Uncontrollable Urges and Loss of Will, the keeper can slow the clue down tremendously. Meanwhile, since it's such a long scenario, the keeper can attack investigators with witches no matter where they are, Loss of Will basically instakills an investigator and replaces them with a powerful monster, and there are no special healing abilities included to balance this out, it's easy for the keeper to kill off all the investigators by attrition.

Most scenarios in MoM are broken in some way, but most of them can be fixed just by modifying some of the objectives and maybe one of the keeper actions (often Summon Worshippers or Pyromaniac). The Green-Eyed Boy is a rare exception where basically the entire structure of the scenario needs to be rebuilt from scratch to work properly.

Yes, every scenario can be fixed (even Classroom Curses and Lost in Time and Space) except for Green Eyed Boy.

There is a good ghost story hidden in the conflicting objectives (and the traitor idea is interesting) but even with the story fixed, the basic traitor mechanism, size of map, pop-up ever returning monsters, etc makes fixing it more trouble than its worth.

Play it a few times for fun and then use the cards for your own (or for fan written) scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Toying around with how to make the "teleporting immortal witch" flavor of Witchcraft not be boring, I came up with this: Event 1 spawns a named Witch with a bunch of extra health. Then change Witchcraft to say:

During the monster attack step, if the objective has not been revealed, any witch that has taken damage cannot attack and instead heals 3 damage.
3 Threat: Move any witch on the board to any space on the board. You may discard up to 2 mythos or trauma cards to regain 1 threat for each. Limit once per turn.

Now there's a reason to consider attacking the witch: the more you hurt it, the less it can hurt you. Sticking together actually protects you from the witch (since if it teleports in, you can pile extra damage on it), whereas in the current version it hurts you (since it keys off the lowest willpower of any investigator in the room). The willpower test is gone because it was a complete waste of time that just created unnecessary die-rolling.

The Green-Eyed Boy still has a mountain of problems even with this fix, but I think this might be the way to make the Witchcraft keeper action actually decent without changing the flavor or concept at all. The witch still can teleport onto you at any time and is still (functionally, assuming its health bonus is large) impossible to kill, but now there's an actual decision to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.