Subject: The greatest dexterity game ever? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uncle Ralf
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've all played some sort of dexterity game in our lives. Maybe it was Stacrobats, Villa Paletti or some other game. The memories that I have with dexterity games are always cheerful ones. I can't remember any moments when I did not laugh out loud when a mighty tower collapses, or when all starcrobats tumble down to their doom.

Here lies the power of building dexterity games: games where your creation gets bigger and bigger, until it collapses into a pile of dust. Everyone in the room will gather around. Anyone can play. Everyone will cheer when the creation breaks into pieces.

So how does Turmbau zu Babel hold up? (no pun intended)
Well, I happen to find this game one of the best in it's genre. And not because of it's awesome wooden components (because it has none) nor because of all the ways you can build up (because there isn't really that much variation each turn) or all the strategy to outwit your opponent (because it kind of lacks that). No. It's because of it's small components (just cards) and it supereasy pick up style. Sometimes I just whip out this game randomly, start building the first layer and then just say to someone passing by in the room: You go next! I find it's SO easy to draw people in this game, even more so than other simple games. And once the tower gets more than 4 stories tall, people from all over the room will join in, seeking what kind of weird game this is.

And that's the power of this game. Because of the maximum of 15 stories(!!) that you can build, you'll get quite a building on the table, which just draws people in. It's played in mere minutes, doesn't need ANY explanation and you can always carry this with you, unlike for example Villa Paletti.

If you ever find this cheap in a thrift store, you owe yourself to try it out. I give this game 2 skyscrapers up!thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Ralf
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Thanks for the great review.

Thank you! This is my very first review, but I like writing them. Maybe I should try to play and review more obscure games I find in thrift stores

I found a third copy in a thrift store today, so soon I'll be able to give them out to people who don't own this yet laugh THE WORLD MUST KNOW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
Winona Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this compare to Rhino Hero? (aside from the uno-style floor cards...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.