Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My one play of OCS was fun, and I've been keeping a shrink wrapped copy of Baltic Gap around for an eventual foray into the system. I decided not to pre-order this one. Now I find myself wondering, was that a mistake?

I was just reading a threat about the Wargame of the Year, and a lot of folks talked about this game in glowing terms. So I checked the OCS games average ratings, and I see this is at the top, albeit with fewer ratings than the others. I had the vague impression that folks are seeing this game as improving the series in some way or ways, though I don't know if I was reading too much between the lines. So I thought I'd ask those of you who would know - does this game rise above the others, and if so (or if not), why? What makes it unique?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmb
It would be unfair to call it the best, we haven't played it enough yet. Its the newest OCS game so it will be all the rage for awhile. I like it naturally but its not my favorite OCS game - thats to hard to choose for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
I'm a noob.
I have the 1st third of a campaign for Burma under my belt, 2x intro scenario for Burma.
1x mid sized one mapper GBII scenario and
2x Campaign games of TBL played

So I dont know that it is the "Best", that is subjective in any case right?

I like its measure of history that is represented very well from my admittedly limited reading. I dont know where the 432nd motorized wiffel snappers were at 10:00am on May 14th. So I am no 'expert'. But a quick read and a review of the rules then a play and you have an opportunity to experience some measure of the scale of the gamble taken by the Axis, the heights of mismanagement of the Allies and the grand sweep of the campaign as it was.

Can results be different? I think so, with careful play and study of the inner workings of OCS. But that is beyond me. I was excited to hold up the Germans a few turns extra and inflict very high casualties on them as the FR/BEF in my 2nd play. I was equally excited to cut supply and watch 20+ steps roll and die in Attrition as the Germans. With nary a shot fired!

The opportunity for replay is significant, there are other scenarios to be played that play out action deeper in the campaign, that might not be experienced ( I would love to play the exit of the BEF for instance as it did not transpire in my 2 plays).

Does it serve as a good platform for learning?
Undoubtedly yes. In fact I would hazard to say it may be the "BEST" to learn on if we wanted to attach a best moniker. It has scenarios in size that are manageable, repeatable and interesting enough to allow you to noodle and muss your way thru a variety of problems related to learning OCS:
Maneuver (winning a battle without fighting),
overrun mechanics,
the air war (Fighter Sweeps, Interdiction, Bombardments, Patrol Zones etc),
sustaining supply for combat,
dealing with Trace Supply and HQ's,
using HQ's effectively
understanding the value of units in their various modes..and more.

If I had not just acquired a half dozen more OCS titles, I would have it on the table right now again, looking at a smaller scenario.

The good news is you can try before you buy with Vassal, so think about what you want from the title and assess from there.

It is my favorite to date. If you mess up, it wont kill you to reset a scenario (tho the FR have a LOT of guys, and Germans start at map edge or there abouts in any case)
EDIt, I did not really answer teh last part of the question, but I piffled on long enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiraly wrote:
No, it's not the best, mostly because it's not Korea: The Forgotten War, which is.

laugh

OK, cool - why is that one the best?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe not the best but certainly an evolution of the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
rgordon44 wrote:

That is an interesting remark Gordon.
What has evolved? The game core rules or the particular module?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
rgordon44 wrote:

That is an interesting remark Gordon.
What has evolved? The game core rules or the particular module?
\
\
Yes! That was the question I was trying to ask, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmb
Evolved? No idea what he's talking about. The core rules are the same with some minor revisions going from 4.0 to 4.1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.