Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Porter
United States
Gig Harbor
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased Descent 2.0 and am looking forward to playing it. I have a group of guys that play the D&D adventure games from time to time, and I want to run a campaign with them, but we can rarely plan on all 5 people being there every time. Does anyone have experience with this? Would the campaign work if 1 or 2 people miss a night?

Thanks,

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my group it will be impossible to have a full house regularly for a campaign. We've done a couple one-offs, and if we were to try a campaign I'd probably have a fixed set of four heroes regardless of the number of players, with the currently controlling player for each hero making pertinent decisions at the end of each quest. So, players could drop in or out, and not everyone would be able to have a direct hand in every decision made for the character(s) they started with, but at least the heroes would persist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which I think is best way to do it. If you don't have 5 players, but instead 3-4 some players should control 2 heroes.

In my group we designed house rules that let heroes jump in and out between quests, so each player had his own class and hero. This unfortunately lead to mess out of balance, because we didn't grasp the extend of consequences our house rules made.

Now I suggest to just change players, not heroes. After one completes about few full campaigns they should be able to make better house rules for changing party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of ways that can work. One is to just let the other hero players control the absent hero; this is nice because it has no effect on game balance whatsoever.

The other option is to have the hero sit out the quest. If you do this, it's very important that you:

1) Set up the quest for the number of heroes actually present in the quest. For example, if you're doing a 4-hero campaign but only have 3 heroes present, then for First Blood you would only have 1 master ettin instead of a master and a minion.

2) As an exception to 1), be sure to place search tokens for the full number of heroes. This is to make sure that the heroes will have enough gold to go shopping for everybody later.

3) Grant experience to all heroes, including the absent ones.

4) When doing shopping at the end of the quest, draw enough cards for all the heroes, not just the present ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This has only come up a couple of times for our group, but when it does, somebody just takes over and controls two heroes. When I was overlording and one person was planning an extended vacation, I suggested killing off the character and scaling everything down to three heroes, but they didn't like that idea. He ended up not taking that vacation in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting search tokens for full party won't really work. Say you have 3 hero party usually, but today you're playing with only 2 heroes. 2 heroes is already harder, and you're telling heroes to waste 2 additional actions to search(1 in each encounter), not to mention they have to spend movement points to get there.

Also when the player controlling hero isn't available I would suggest moving shopping/leveling stage to next session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
Putting search tokens for full party won't really work. Say you have 3 hero party usually, but today you're playing with only 2 heroes. 2 heroes is already harder, and you're telling heroes to waste 2 additional actions to search(1 in each encounter), not to mention they have to spend movement points to get there.

Alternatively, set up two players' worth of search tokens and then draw the difference for extra gold after the quest. But it's clearly better to just have somebody play two heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Porter
United States
Gig Harbor
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I will suggest the idea of having someone control multiple characters and see what they think.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasuya Meshima
msg tools
Here, we do setups for the most commons cases so we can have always one campaign we can play, even with absents.

For example: sometimes, one of our players can't play the three players campaign, so the other 2 players just begin (or continue) one other campaign. That way, we always play 2 or 3 campaign simultaneously, with the 3 players campaign being the main campaign.

But, actually, I feel the off games are more balanced than campaign, so, probably I'm not playing campaign again for a while as we finish our current campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
If you can come up with a workaround to play the campaigns, I say do it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with one offs, but I find this game to be more enjoyable when you play a full campaign. Its more rewarding being able to build up your character/develop and adjust OL strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.