Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, I feared this scenario a plenty of time by now. I couldn't imagine, how could you beat four creatures so powerful, buffing each other and/or posing a giant threat in the staging area, being buffed by a location immunte to card effects aswell.

My first attempt was a lead/tact dwarf deck(I own only first cycle), and it obviously was a fail. I kept good right until the troll encounter. Tried it second time - the same thing. So, I decided to change things and bring in my good ol' Bilbo and Denethor pals, paired with Theodred.

Lore:
Mirkwood Runner x3
Miner of the Iron Hills x2
Gleowine x2
Erebor Hammersmith x2
Henarmath Riversong x1

Fast Hitch x3
Burning Brand x3
Protector of Lorien x2
Forest Snare x2
Dark Knowledge x1

Rumour of the Earth x3
Lore of Imladris x3
Infighting x3
Secret Paths x2
Radagast's Cunning x2

Leadership:
Snowbourn Scout x3

Dunedain Warning x3
Steward of Gondor x2
Celebrian's Stone x1

Sneak Attack x2
Valiant Sacrifice x2

Neutral:
Gandalf x3

So here is what happened. First two attempts was foiled by early Hill Troll appearances or fast threat boosters.

But, the last try was epic.
I got Celebrian's Stone in starting hand. This means I could actually have a decent questing starting from the second turn, Eowyn-style.
Morefor, I got Steward of Gondor somewhere at the turn 3. The resource gain from questing Theodred with Steward of Gondor was just sick.
And then I get this Bee Pastures location, exploring which I gain this Grimbeorn the Old guy. By this time I already had two Mirkwood Runners out(by the way, they were my main strategy for this quest - 6 certain damage to the one troll each turn). Some minor monsters popped up, such as those progress removing goblins and Much adder, but Bilbo grew attached with many things: Dunedain Warning, Fast Hitch, Burning Brand - he could quest and defend(though when adder showed up - it caught me unprepared, so I was forced to let goblins go undefended for the round, took 2 damage with Theodred, first and last time hero was damaged through the game). The breaking point was getting Protcetor of Lorien attached to Bilbo. With it I could finally get past first quest stage, and everything was prepared: I had Grimbeorn(who helped with questing a bit before the troll battle), 3 runners were up and running, my hand contained 2 Gandalfs and 2 sneak attacks, and Bilbo had 3 Dunedain Warnings, 3 Fast Hitches and Burning Brand attached, meaning no troll would ever harm anybody(Gleowene helped with a card draw a bit).
But something was wrong. My threat was 35, meaning as soon as I finish the first stage - I'll be surrounded by trolls raising my threat by 3 each. Here what I did - using my first sneak attack I summoned the Gandalf for the quest phase to quest and to lower my threat by 5.
Then, I optionally engaged the one who making everybody raise threat with their attacks and killed him with 6 damage from runners, finishing with united forces of Grimbeorn and my other low attack characters(Denethor, Bilbo, etc).
Threat gone up to 34 the next turn and each troll engaged me, making their precious Carrock location vulnurable. With effort of Theodred and Biblo(remember the Lorien Protector and Celebrian's Stone), it was got ridden of in a single quest phase, then, methodically I started to execute troll by troll each turn, until the bitter end. A lot of Gandalfs was involved.
Also, worth of mention, using Denethor's ability, I eluded one Hill Troll and two Sacked!.

It's just amazing how lucky I got. And how manly Biblo looked fending off the entire troll gang alone, allowing his allies to strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mue makan
msg tools
Just something to keep in mind. Mirkwood Runner can only use his ability when he attacks alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yup, thats why each one attacked separately. Adding up, 2 pure damage per turn per runner. Or more, if you have means to ready em. Which I didn't, so to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mue makan
msg tools
My bad, I thought all of them attacked the same troll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Chung
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure you can only declare an attack on a monster once per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kunkel
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
Yup, thats why each one attacked separately. Adding up, 2 pure damage per turn per runner. Or more, if you have means to ready em. Which I didn't, so to say.

That doesn't work. You can only attack any particular engaged enemy once per turn. The runners cannot each attack the same enemy separately on the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
And 1 more thing. Protector of lorien have errata limit 3 per phase. So Bilbo can only handle 1 troll to defend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mue makan
msg tools
Well, he did have 3 Dunedain Warnings and a PoL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
That doesn't work. You can only attack any particular engaged enemy once per turn. The runners cannot each attack the same enemy separately on the same turn.
Please, tell me you're not serious.

Glaurung2 wrote:
And 1 more thing. Protector of lorien have errata limit 3 per phase. So Bilbo can only handle 1 troll to defend.
Well, he never used protector to defend, he used it to quest. Warnings handled that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
jeffk wrote:
Please, tell me you're not serious.

Not, that's legit, one attack per enemy. Quick Strike would allow another attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, I've gone through the rulebook and found that part. Seemed to miss/forget it somehow. Dam, triple runner looked like such a good combo.

BUT, now that I look at it, eveything in the game would be the sume, but runners instead of attacking alone would gang up together with Grimbeorn the Old, resulting in the same damage output per turn(2+2+2+4)-2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except with Carrock as active location + Stuart, all Trolls have 4 Defense. Not sure which Troll you took on first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Except for Carrock was explored pretty quickly as soon as trolls left staging area and Stuart was the first one to fall with help of Gandalf.
(except for the one with +3 threat per attack, engaged that one separately and killed it before others could react).

It's all in the original post, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict at Carrock definitely can be exciting! We found that the key is to clear the first stage of the quest before the trolls automatically engage, and then to optionally engage them one at a time. Of course, we did that playing 2 player, and I'm sure it's tougher 1 player due to their threat. But with all those Gandalfs and Sneak Attacks, you probably could have kept your threat low enough so you could have picked at least one more of them off on his own before you had to fight the rest.

One other thing to keep in mind with those trolls is that almost all of their nasty buffs only take effect if they're actually engaged with a player, so they won't buff each other if you're only fighting one at a time. We missed that the first couple of times through.

3 Fast Hitches on one hobbit seems great, especially when you can buff with Dunedain Warnings and the such! What a great way to get more out of your hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.