Subject: Short review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bijan Ajamlou
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients is an expansion for one of best received board games among geeks this century! The combination of Sci Fi theme, economic engine, elegant mechanics and relative short play time makes this game a hit. In my experience new players have some expectations that isn't fulfilled when they first play the game. One of those expectations is to fight epic battles. This expansion deliveries more of everything that did the basegame such a hit and intensifies battles.

Rare Technologies ()
The rare technologies adds a loot of excitement and opens up strategies and addition to add some more randomness. Since the rare technologies can go in any tech tree its tempting to buy the rare tech, good or bad, to score those precious points! The new ship parts that some rare technology offer are simply awesome and offer new blueprint designs.

Developments ()
The development adds some new initial strategy options (not to be confused be tactic) and variation to the game. The Agricola player in me smiles whit their addition. Developments are powerful enough to not be left ignored and adds more tense decisions. I really like the warp portal since it opens up the map for more battles.

Ancients (Homeworlds, hives, galactic center and new ships) ()
When playing whit fewer players the map can feel little bit empty. The addition of ancient homeworlds makes the map come alive! Adding new ancient ships whit new blueprints (the ancients now have cruisers and as a variation for the center dreadnoughts) space battles gets more risky and rewarding, thus it becomes a serious strategic option.

New Alien Species ()
These are a solid addition and fun to explore and try out. Playing the Exiles makes you want to go for a more defensive strategy initially, but whit the addition of so many more ancients all over the place you are pushed to join the arms race. The Wardens are very versatile whit their ability to turn unused colony ships to resources. The Syndicate are very mobile and flavorful and the enlightened of lyra have a very special feel to them and gives you mini missions to achieve (build shrines). They all feel well thought out and explore new design space without being to crazy.

New official variants
Havent tried these. If you are looking for playing 6+ players you are in a luck since you now can play up to 9 but i cant imagine i would ever do that.

Component Quality()
Lautapelit.fi must be one of the best boardgame producers. I got the nova expansion and replacement tiles for misprinted ones. For my trubles of replacing them they added in an extra tile (tractor beam, which is really interesting). This is how you do business! In addition the component is of very high quality, i cant complain of anything! Well maybe one little thing, the folded aliens species boards. But i had them laminated to solve that issue. The rulebook is also amazing and its interesting to read about the history of the aliens species.

Conclusion
This is a high quality expansion and adds more of the same. If you want more battles in your 3-4 player games i highly recommend it. The expansion doesn't make the base game much better (it was already almost flawlessly good), but for the veterans more strategic depth and variation is added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to receiving my copy even more now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Unruh
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! I, too, love this expansion and agree with you that Eclipse is a phenomenal game. The new alien species add greater depth and the rare technologies add another layer of excitement to an already deep and exciting game. You absolutely must play the variant that allows the second passing player to determine the direction of play; it is one of our favorite additions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whok Nows
Sweden
flag msg tools
When I play Ecplise (without expansion) I feel that it is too easy to for players to focus on a single target through allies, either in game or just throught talking.

Also, the first player who attacks is generally left weak at at least one tile which means that another player can attack you when you're vulnerable. This is true when someone tries to actually engage the enemies mid-game and not just on round 9. And if the attackers manage to get into the core of your map, you're completely screwed. And finally, I sometimes feel that the discovery tiles decide the winner. If you get shitty tiles (no monies!), you don't get the economy going

I want to love Eclipse, but I think the game is flawed, what do you reckon? Will this expansion make the game more enjoyable for me do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mumfi wrote:
When I play Ecplise (without expansion) I feel that it is too easy to for players to focus on a single target through allies, either in game or just throught talking.

Also, the first player who attacks is generally left weak at at least one tile which means that another player can attack you when you're vulnerable. This is true when someone tries to actually engage the enemies mid-game and not just on round 9. And if the attackers manage to get into the core of your map, you're completely screwed. And finally, I sometimes feel that the discovery tiles decide the winner. If you get shitty tiles (no monies!), you don't get the economy going

I want to love Eclipse, but I think the game is flawed, what do you reckon? Will this expansion make the game more enjoyable for me do you think?

I think you need to learn to mitigate the issues you have first. You need to really control access into your areas and be able to defend them. If you are strong enough to defend your areas people won't throw themselves at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you leave yourself vulnerable? Starbases are your friend.
If you can't attack, or are too afraid to attack, Monaliths and Science.
If it was a shitty tile, why did you keep it?

I think the better you get at the game, the more you'll see "where" the flaws actually were . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.