Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DaveO Suave
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family and I finally settled down to play Mystery Express last night.

We are big Days of Wonder fans over here, and have all the Ticket To Ride game variants they publish save for the newest one (Africa). I’ll get it soon enough once the next LGS sale comes up.

Our initial impressions after a four player game –

1) It’s much better than Clue. And the fact that your own character isn’t a potential suspect is strangely liberating. I suspect now that we understand the rules, future games will likely involve snark talking about revealed suspects and their imagined indiscretions just to keep things lively.
2) The instructions were handy and straightforward. The summary INSIDE the billfold for what each car did was even better.
3) Discards, discards. I think the secret to this game on future plays will be knowing when to use a particular action with a particular discard (yours or theirs after card exchange) depending on your own take on the nature of your opponent’s memory.
4) The time game. Ah, the time game. I’m seeing a lot of negative buzz about it on the forum, and I will say that our own opinions were mixed. Two for the time game; two not so much. This correlated 100% with the successful guess of the time of the crime of each player, so… YMMV.
5) Overall, though – I see this as a great alternative to Clue and perhaps an alternative to your usual game (our usuals include Carcassonne , Ticket to Ride, Lords of Waterdeep, Alhambra ), but probably not one to play repeatedly over a short period of time.

And yes, I won. I missed the time of the crime and guessed the room successfully between two options, and solidly deduced the other elements.

daveosuave Grade: B (better than meh, not amazing, but amusing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.