Eric O. LEBIGOT
China
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In many of my (few, two-player) games, it felt like I lost mostly because of a few buildings completed close to the end. I got the feeling of being steamrolled at a moment where it was too late to do much. It is as if we were racing, and just yards from the finish line my opponent accelerated suddenly like a super-hero. Is this a usual way for the game to develop?

I must note that in both cases I had about twice as few buildings as my opponent: I wonder if this did not limit my possible answers too much. However, I can't help have this feeling that in any case, I would not have had time to counter my opponent.

What's your take on this dynamics that I observed in our games? is it likely that I was doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
In many of my (few, two-player) games, it felt like I lost mostly because of a few buildings completed close to the end. I got the feeling of being steamrolled at a moment where it was too late to do much. It is as if we were racing, and just yards from the finish line my opponent accelerated suddenly like a super-hero. Is this a usual way for the game to develop?

I must note that in both cases I had about twice as few buildings as my opponent: I wonder if this did not limit my possible answers too much. However, I can't help have this feeling that in any case, I would not have had time to counter my opponent.

What's your take on this dynamics that I observed in our games? is it likely that I was doing something wrong?

The game pace can be rather exponential, but this is not always the case. Watch to see that your opponent doesn't have the freedom to load up on every Craftsman client available, to help balance the building advantage you are describing. In our games, where everyone has a dozen or more games of GtR under their belt, players learn to better spot opponent weakness (to exploit) and opponent strengths (to mitigate), and this has a balancing effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:

The game pace can be rather exponential, but this is not always the case. Watch to see that your opponent doesn't have the freedom to load up on every Craftsman client available, to help balance the building advantage you are describing. In our games, where everyone has a dozen or more games of GtR under their belt, players learn to better spot opponent weakness (to exploit) and opponent strengths (to mitigate), and this has a balancing effect.

Pretty much what Jonathan said. I will also note that buildings completed is not the only metric for determining who is ahead in points. I've won several games of Glory to Rome with only 3 or 4 buildings completed and a ton of materials in my stash.

One of the earliest stumbling blocks to get over is to keep building completion running at all times and do not get over-attached to anything in your hand. The guy that sits around thinking during every Craftsman/Architect action because he's just so attached to everything he has is a guy that's going to lose horribly. Get your influence built up, get some clients going and start developing an engine. Once you're rolling faster you can start being choosier about buildings and building materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.