Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but since it was a DYI project, this seems like a good place to show off my new shelves.

My wife and I bought a new house this summer which included a good sized bonus (read: game) room. We decided it needed some built in shelves to hold our game collection. My parents came to visit in August and we worked on several projects around the house. We built most of the shelves at that time, but didn't finish the trim, doors, or painting. They came to visit again for Christmas and we finished off this project.

You can see the door at the edge of the picture to get an idea of how big these are. The total length is just over 11 feet. The shelves are currently spaced about 12.5" apart, enough for most boxes - though they're adjustable as well. The large lower cabinets are great for storing big, odd shaped items, or hiding away loose and unsightly bits.

Here's an image with a standard Fantasy Flight box for scale:

And here's an image of some the end trim:

Oops, that one is rotated. Oh well.

I haven't loaded the games up yet as I want to give the paint some more time to harden up. I'll share some more detail about the project later, and post more pictures once everything is place. I just wanted to get these up and show them off

I'm very happy with the way these turned out, and very grateful to my parents for all the help they provided on the project.

UPDATE:

Here are the shelves loaded with games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. One issue, some wasted space on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow! Very nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
ionizedbrian wrote:
Very nice. One issue, some wasted space on top.

No, not at all. That's where games like TI3, Starcraft, Loopin' Louie, Planet Steam, etc. go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
No, not at all. That's where games like TI3, Starcraft, Loopin' Louie, Planet Steam, etc. go...

Oh yes, but that is a very wife specific possibility - being allowed to put games willy-nilly on a not-really shelf area. Much easier to convince her you should be allowed to buy that copy of Case Blue when there is an empty shelf space, rather than telling her 'but it can fit on top'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
R'lyeh
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a lot of space for one copy of Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Ralya wrote:
Seems like a lot of space for one copy of Descent.

He's leaving room for expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! Beautiful shelves. What materials did you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
These look cool! If my current dwelling had enough room, I'd want shelves like this too. And then I'd start buying even more games to fill it all up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful job, congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

Fxguy1 wrote:
Great job! Beautiful shelves. What materials did you use?

It's mostly 3/4" and 1/4" MDF.

There are 3 1x4 frames made of pine that form the internal structure of each of the three units - one below the base of the cabinet, one at the top of the lower cabinet, and a third above the top shelf. This image shows the inside of one of the lower cabinets, with pine frame and unfinished MDF cabinet top.

The vertical stiles that the door hinges attach to are 1x2 poplar boards. Everything else is MDF. Even the molding at the top is made from MDF (which I got from our builder to match the rest of the molding in the house).

I love the look of real wood, but working with MDF is way cheaper (and way dustier ). Plus, we planned all along to paint these shelves to match the rest of the woodwork in the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Setting the standard mighty high!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

O, post here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/36955/shelf-pr0n-centr...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.