Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Saya
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We've always enjoyed this colorful little pickup and deliver game, but hadn't played for quite a while. Dusting it off recently, we were reminded of a few less-than-desirable things about the game, so for our second game we agreed to some tweaking, adding the following house rules:

1) There doesn't seem to be enough for the planes to do, so we doubled the number of airports by regarding the land-locked area of each island as an airport too. This worked very well, keeping the planes more involved and making the land-locked areas, formerly reachable only by truck, more accessible.

2) Even more for the planes to do: we allowed them to load and transport the truck from airport to airport. The trucks actually fit perfectly in the load area of the planes, and, counting the truck as one load, even if the truck is fully laden the load capacity of the plane is not exceeded. I have to say this was a lot of fun, and we both utilized this possibility frequently.

3) We've noticed that, despite their varying capacities, we never carry more than one load per vehicle from turn to turn: the 3 Logi per load fee is just too expensive to make it worthwhile. So we simply lowered the fee to 2 Logi. This made a real difference: we both profited by having multiple loads, especially on our ships, from turn to turn. It also helped no. 2 above to be more cost effective.

All in all, we thought these house rules made the game more fun to play without altering its basic character. In fact, no. 3, because it encourages more loads, actually enhances an important characteristic of the game. Regarding our play, it was a close game throughout, and the final score was similar to our usual finishes, 150-something to 140-something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played one time so far, but from what I have read, your #3 will prevent you from discovering the "real" strategy of the game. People say the key to doing really well is to carry multiple goods at a time.

Being able to move the truck via plane sounds fun, but I want to play the game as designed more before starting to fiddle with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Saya
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I have only played one time so far

I want to play the game as designed more before starting to fiddle with it.

Yes, by all means follow the rules as written for a good while. We only tried these variants after more than a dozen plays. Reading some of the other posts you'll note that we're not the first gamers to tinker with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.