Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, in looking over the new expansion, I seem to have a mental block concerning how the new Silvertongue hero works. Any help would be appreciated......

The first level swindler says: "Place a village card present back on its stack to gain 2 gold."

I am assuming this means that you have to give back a previously purchased Village card...........

a) So you take a village card in your hand and put it back on the village stack where someone else can then purchase it later?

b) I assume this means you can return heroes as well as items, villagers, etc.?

c) What about Basic Cards (such as Regulars and Torches)? (This ability seems great if you can use it to divest yourself of weak cards).

The second and third level swindlers say: "Give another player a village card present to either.....(get gold or attack, etc)"

d) So this means you give them one of your villager cards permanently?

e) I (again) assume this means the card goes into their discard pile (and not their hand)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the answer to all is YES, although I'm not sure for the last question whether the village card goes to other player's hands or to their discard. I believe it should be to their discard pile though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D M
msg tools
a) yes
b) no, heroes aren't village cards, although they are in the Village
c) no, basic cards aren't not village cards, although they are in the Village
d) yes
e) yes

He seems horrible. I only play Epic, but even in traditional Tstone, it seems like you would need a very specific setup to get him going (as in, doing any sort of effective slowing of others' decks), and even then, you would be so far behind by the time it was consistent. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
designer
otherdane wrote:

c) no, basic cards aren't not village cards, although they are in the Village

Village cards have a green border. Torch and Longspear (both basic cards) are therefore village cards and are eligible for the Silvertongue's abilities.

otherdane wrote:
He seems horrible. I only play Epic, but even in traditional Tstone, it seems like you would need a very specific setup to get him going (as in, doing any sort of effective slowing of others' decks), and even then, you would be so far behind by the time it was consistent. Maybe I'm missing something.

The clarification above might be what you were looking for. For starters, he allows you to dump four of your starting cards into your opponent's deck. He allows you to shed village cards mid-game if they've lost their utility. And he pairs nicely with Blood Debt and Rage of the Disowned, which are otherwise tricky to get rid of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D M
msg tools
Thanks for the clarification. There's always been some ambiguity for me throughout the sets on how Village cards are categorized (especially on older cards with spoils and raids effects referring (Village) vs Village Card).

So for this purpose (and others) I take it that being a 'Basic' card has no relevance other than being in your starting deck. Good catch on shedding negative point cards, as placing/giving wouldn't qualify as a destroy/discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Lakewood
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't feel like we have anything official for what "give" means.

I would rule that "give" means to put it in the other person's hand for these reasons:

1) In most games where you would "give" someone a card, you put it in their hand. (Though, "gaining" in deck-builders is different so who can say.)
2) Unless you have a bunch of curses, you are giving away an item of little (but some) use. Putting it in the other player's hand makes it a bit weaker because it helps them for one turn at least (having an extra card). I think Silvertounge is really strong, so this helps tamper him down a bit.
3) It's more fun. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
designer
Quizoid wrote:
I don't feel like we have anything official for what "give" means.

I would rule that "give" means to put it in the other person's hand for these reasons:

1) In most games where you would "give" someone a card, you put it in their hand. (Though, "gaining" in deck-builders is different so who can say.)
2) Unless you have a bunch of curses, you are giving away an item of little (but some) use. Putting it in the other player's hand makes it a bit weaker because it helps them for one turn at least (having an extra card). I think Silvertounge is really strong, so this helps tamper him down a bit.
3) It's more fun. laugh

Though there isn't a lot of precedent for placing a card into another player's discard pile, Sidhe and Canon both do this (pre-Advance), and they use language that specifically identifies the discard pile, and use 'place' (which avoids discard/destroy), rather than 'give'. This would suggest that 'give' is something different from placing in another player's discard pile.

'Give' is used more inconsistently. It is used synonymously with 'add' on the following cards: Selurin (print-and-play), Deepstrider, Glamercast, and Bandia's Wisdom. That leaves just Woodfolk and Silvertongue. Woodfolk references monsters who 'give diseases'. When a monster 'gives' me a disease, I 'gain' the disease, placing it in my discard pile. This would suggest that when Silvertongue gives an opponent a card, the opponent gains the card, placing it in their discard pile. Silvertongue's glossary entry only clarifies that giving is not the same as discarding/destroying (important for Blood Debt, Rage of the Disowned, Xobmokt, etc.).

Nevertheless, I seem to recall originally playing it as going to the discard pile, and then being corrected (perhaps by the codified playtest server) that it should go to the player's hand.

And I agree that it makes it more interesting to go to the player's hand. The ability to pollute my opponent's deck is powerful. If I add to my opponent's hand, the opponent has one turn to try to deal with it before it starts counting as one of the six cards in their hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.