Hide
5 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: How Long Do Skills Last? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurblick Atrebas
msg tools
I'm a brand new player to this genre. I'm puzzled about the Hero skills. For example, the Armor of Faith skill used by the healer gives a defender an extra dice. How long does this last? Does it work for the duration of an Overlord attack or only works against the first attack by, say, a Goblin, and not by an attack from a second Goblin in the same Overlord turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurblick wrote:
I'm a brand new player to this genre. I'm puzzled about the Hero skills. For example, the Armor of Faith skill used by the healer gives a defender an extra dice. How long does this last? Does it work for the duration of an Overlord attack or only works against the first attack by, say, a Goblin, and not by an attack from a second Goblin in the same Overlord turn?

Kurblick, I'm not sure if you are using the English version, but it clearly reads that the effect lasts until the Disciple's next start of turn. Of course, Prayer of Healing would have had to been cast on the particular hero.

Is this a translation issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The general answer to the question of "how long do skills last" is "it depends on the skill, but it is usually explicitly stated on the skill card how long it lasts.

For instance, Armor of Faith lasts until the Disciple's following turn.
Armor of Faith wrote:
Each time you use Prayer of Healing on a hero, that hero adds 1 additional brown die to his defense pool until the start of your next turn. Place a hero token belonging to that hero on this card as a reminder.

Whereas Divine Fury only last for one attack, and the attack must be made during the same round as the Prayer of Healing.
Divine Fury wrote:
Each time you use Prayer of Healing on a hero, that hero adds 1 additional yellow power die to his attack pool on his next attack this round. Place a hero token belonging to that hero on this card as a reminder.

There are also skills that are always on, like the Wildlander's Accurate or the Berserker's Brute.

One thing to remember is the rules for exhausting cards. Many skills require the hero to exhaust the skill card in order to achieve some effect. What follows typically is that the given effect lasts until the beginning of that hero's next turn, as that is when exhausted cards become refreshed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurblick Atrebas
msg tools
Oops I'm soory, I had the wrong card. The actual card I was referring to is called Stoneskin. It states: When you or a hero within 3 spaces of you is attached, before dice are rolled, exhaust this card to add 1 additional gray die to that hero's defense pool. I assume he will be able to defend against multiple attacks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurblick wrote:
Oops I'm soory, I had the wrong card. The actual card I was referring to is called Stoneskin. It states: When you or a hero within 3 spaces of you is attached, before dice are rolled, exhaust this card to add 1 additional gray die to that hero's defense pool. I assume he will be able to defend against multiple attacks?

Stoneskin will only work for one attack because it stipulates for that hero's defense pool which is formed one time. If you'd like to read some discussion on this:

Stoneskin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.