Ascension: Immortal Heroes» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules please? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't pay close enough attention to the requirements when I asked for this for Christmas! I only have the original Ascension game and there is no rulebook with this expansion. It says it expands on Storm of Souls which I don't have, and although it says you can download the rules online that isn't quite true... Only the original rules can be downloaded, not Storm. So for example, I have no idea what to do with Events or Fanatics. Very disappointing.

Any hope for getting rules online? Supposedly IH can be played standalone, but I won't get far without the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tritone wrote:
I didn't pay close enough attention to the requirements when I asked for this for Christmas! I only have the original Ascension game and there is no rulebook with this expansion. It says it expands on Storm of Souls which I don't have, and although it says you can download the rules online that isn't quite true... Only the original rules can be downloaded, not Storm. So for example, I have no idea what to do with Events or Fanatics. Very disappointing.

Any hope for getting rules online? Supposedly IH can be played standalone, but I won't get far without the rules!
I've never played IH, just CotG, RotF, and SoS. For Events and Fanatics AFA SoS went...

Events consist of 3 parts....
1) on the event card, there's a top part that's like a new global rule
(E.g. Void Rising - Event Void... OPT when a player defeats a monster in the center row, that player gians 1 honor)

2) on the event card, there's a BOTTOM part that says "event trophy". (e.g. Void Rising - Event Void... Banish a card in your hand or discard pile) The event trophy triggers when you banish a Fanatic from play. How do you get a Fanatic? By defeating one with 3 power. You can only have 1 Fanatic at a time, but you can kill more than one per turn.

For example, you kill 2 Fantics with 6 power. That's 2 honor.

However, you could use the Event trophy effect multiple times by killing a Fanatic with your 1st 3 power, gaining the Fanatic face up in front of you, banishing it, then killing the Fanatic a 2nd time, and then banishing it a 2nd time.

3) some cards in the game are tied to events. Look at the background of the card and note a "water mark" tied to each faction.

E.g. Shadowcaster says ".... if the current event is Void, you may also banish a card in your discard pile."

As for Soul Gems, I believe you draw a random soul gem from a deck and use that Soul gem hero/effect on the current turn. If not, it's wasted.... you can't save soul gem cards from one turn to the next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
Newark
OH
flag msg tools
This too shall pass...
mbmbmbmbmb
The game SHOULD HAVE come with an instruction booklet. Try emailing
Webmaster@garygames.com to see if they can email you a *.pdf file or send a tangible copy.

Aside from that, Ack has everything correct as far as I read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! As it turns out, I bought Storm of Souls last January and completely forgot it (never played it). So I read the rulebook and now I know how things fall into place with this expansion. Crucial rules I was missing...

Events... are mixed into the center deck along with the monsters and heroes. When you flip one into the center row, immediately place it in a separate area (called the "Event Zone") and fill the center row with another card. There is only one card ever in the Event Zone... if another shows up, it replaces any previous Events in the Zone. Otherwise you do what the card says, like ackmondual described above.

Fanatics... are in the "Always Available Zone" (like Heavy Infantry, Cultist, etc.) but you take one when you defeat it. You can only have one Fanatic, faceup on the table in front of you. You can defeat another Fanatic if you want, but you only get one faceup Fanatic on the table. You banish it (back to the Always Available Zone) when you use it. There are only 6 Fanatics, one for each possible player in a 6p game.

Soul Gems... are shuffled into their own facedown pile, and are taken when another card effect says to take one. They also go faceup on the table in front of you, but only last for the turn you're having. Then they go to the Soul Gem discard pile.

As Eric Leath mentioned, there is an "instruction booklet" that comes with Immortal Heroes, but it does not contain the rules to Ascension. It only mentions how Soul Gems work. It says you can find the rules to "previous Ascension games" on their website, but currently only the original Ascension rules are available which did not have Events or Fanatics. Hopefully this quick synopsis will help someone else, or maybe they'll add Storm of Souls rules to the downloads area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Eddy

Hudson
Wisconsin
msg tools
Thanks for the rules summary. I received Immortal Heros as a secret Santa gift and I a learned how to play the game from someone with the original set, so I had no idea how to use events, fanatics, ect. So thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I saw this post. I was going to pick this up tomorrow, but now I will not. The box says it has a full color rule book. I expect a rule book to play was is sold not only as an expansion but a standalone game. It should have complete rules for playing the game in the box.

When companies do updates to rules, and they are only available online, I understand. There is NO reason why a game should not come with a complete set of rules unless it is an expansion(only).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quiet, not much content
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm weak and I bought it. I will point out that the box itself says "contains everything you need to play"

Happily I like it! Of course the first game I played, without the original rules, I misremembered and played with a hand size if six (solitaire) so I won.

The second game I used someone else's solitaire rules and misread the rule about rereolling for costs of 4 and under and made it hard for myself
(Pointing out here that it was around 0300 when I was playing)

So then, with no sleep 8 hrs after the end of my 12 hour nightshift I taught it to a young magic player at our FLGS (Dave's Pop Culture). He quite liked it and beat me by more than 30 points.

I like the soul gem mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.