Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a bandit is in range to hit my birds will they still move towards me during their movement? I have been in fights where something like a MIG-25 is able to attack me at 4 range and my AIM-7s only have a two range. If I was the MIG I would keep my distance and safely keep popping away with BVR shots.

Should I be having them closing on my planes or hang back? Thanks in advanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Mason
Australia
Dandenong
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the manual, page 13:
'If there are one or more aircraft within the Bandit's range, the Bandit does not move.'

I've been thinking about a rule where Bandits would hang back if at all possible. There's been plenty of missions where a lone Mig-29 or such wpuld have had a fantastic time at the expense of my sidewinder equipped planes, and it does feel a bit wrong that one plane wouldn't back off a bit when four or five enemy jets swarm towards them. Otoh, I don't need the game to be any harder at my current skill level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Broome
Australia
Sunshine West
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Crazyyog.

Page 13 in the rulebook under the paragraph heading Bandit Movement, the rule states that If there are one of more aircraft within Bandit's range, the Bandit does not move.

The Bandits only move towards your aircraft to get into range of there weapons.

So my usual tactic against Bandits with long range missile capability is to target them with Phoenix missiles first or I enter the combat area with my birds loaded with AtA missiles from two different quadrants trying negate the long range abilities of these fighters.

I hope this answers your question Crazyyog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Conway
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes... Romans 1:16
mbmbmbmbmb
Uberslacker wrote:
...it does feel a bit wrong that one plane wouldn't back off a bit when four or five enemy jets swarm towards them.

Keep in mind that one of the US' and its close allies strengths is in command and control. We have satellites, JSTARS, AWACS, and many tactical aircraft sensors data-linked together, all to give US forces an unrivaled edge in situational awareness. Most potential opponents do not have such an integrated ability to keep an eye on what's going on out on the battlefield. Sure, potential enemies have radar, both on the ground and in the air, but their ability to collate and analyze all the data from each sensor and relay pertinent up-to-the-minute information to the front-line forces is lacking. A MiG-29, as formidable as it is, must essentially rely on verbal contact information, and its own sensors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.