Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluffing is an invaluable skill in poker. The same is true here, and that's really the only thing Cockroach Poker has in common with poker. Here, you'll be giving cards to other players and (quite likely) lying about what those cards are.

The game comes with 64 cards. Each card has some kind of less-than-pleasant creature, and there are 8 cards with each creature. The creatures are cockroaches, flies, spiders, bats, toads, scorpions, rats and stink bugs. You deal the cards evenly to all players (rules say 2-6, but I see no reason why this couldn't play with more than 6) and then somebody begins the game.

On your turn, you give one card from your hand, face down, to another player and say what kind of creature is depicted there. That player has two choices:
a) They can accept the card. In that case, they have to guess whether or not you were being truthful or not. If they guess correctly, the card is placed face-up in front of you. If they were wrong, the card is placed face-up in front of them.
b) If there is at least one player who hasn't seen this card, they can look at the card, give it to a player who hasn't seen it and say what kind of creature it is. They don't need to repeat what you said when giving the card to them, but they can if they wish so. The new recipient now has the same choice of a) and b).
When someone has received the face-up card, that player takes the next move. The game continues like this until someone has 4 face-up cards with the same creature, or until the player whose turn it is to play a card doesn't have any cards in their hand. That player loses and everyone else wins.

And that's all there is to this game. It's a really simple game. At least rules-wise. Playing this game well is not a simple thing - for instance, I am absolutely useless in all kinds of bluffing games. Despite the fact that I lose just about every time, I still like this game. First, it's easy to teach. Second, 2+ is a pretty wide player range. Third, it plays really quickly - I don't think games of this take more than 10 minutes. What's not to like here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one of my favorite games ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:
one of my favorite games ever!

Annnd you're a bastard for introducing me to this game..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.