Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally don't revisit game designs when they are done. But although I think Bomber Command is one of my best games yet, there's still something I'm not 100% happy about. The rule that's most bugged me both before and after release was the rule on Flak Damage. I have never been happy with forcing the British player to 'fess up if a flak damage marker is present and then the German player deciding to use it. It's a clumsy rule that compromises the fog of war mechanics a little. As ever, solutions come too late and when one is in the bath. So I'm mulling over an idea I had recently.

This is not an official rule change. It's is, however, a proposal for an optional rule and you guys are welcome to test it and tell me what you think. The rationale behind this rule is to encourage rather than force the British player to expend markers.

Alternate Flak Damage Rule 9.8.4

Flak attacks may result in flak damage being inflicted on a raid. For each point of flak damage the British player places a Flak Damage marker in the target raid's Raid Box on the map.

When a nightfighter attacks, if that raid has any Flak Damage markers the British player may voluntarily expend a marker by removing it from the Raid Box before the attack is rolled. Expending a marker gives the nightfighter a +1 modifier for that attack. No more than one marker may be expended for each nightfighter attack.

When a raid recovers [7.6] the British player must roll to see if any unexpended flak damage results in losses. For each Flak Damage marker on the raid roll 1 die. If the roll is 1 or 2, a bomber is lost. If the roll is 3 through 6 there is no loss. Expend the marker after rolling for it. If a loss is inflicted on a Mosquito raid, roll again to confirm that loss [9.9.1].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If multiple Gruppen can attack a raid in a phase, then making it the British player's option to expend Flak Damage markers means he will expend them on the Gruppen of his choice, not the German player's choice. (I haven't crunched the numbers, but as the German player I prefer to stack modifiers on my best Gruppen. So as the British player I would use them on the worst.) You could write the rule so that the British player can admit to having Flak Damage markers on a raid at his option, but give the German player the option of which Gruppen to use them with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger, I see the choice as somewhat different. Given the tables are based on a 2d6 curve, I'd be more tempted, as British player, to assign the mods to the *best* rather than the worst Gruppen, since the value of a +1 mod to a low-powered attack is likely to be worth more than a +1 mod to a high-powered attack.

I'm fairly happy with the idea of the British player getting to 'dump' the markers in whatever least-harmful way he sees fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotofficerprune wrote:
When a raid recovers [7.6] the British player must roll to see if any unexpended flak damage results in losses. For each Flak Damage marker on the raid roll 1 die. If the roll is 1 or 2, a bomber is lost. If the roll is 3 through 6 there is no loss. Expend the marker after rolling for it. If a loss is inflicted on a Mosquito raid, roll again to confirm that loss [9.9.1].

Playing this variant, are we still roll on the Recovery Table and use disruptions (only) modifier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent point. Yes, we should not total Flak Damage when calculating the recovery modifier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.