Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

At the end of First Blood, both Ettins were defeated but the Search Tokens remained unexplored. I was unsure of what to do. As far as I was concerned, the game ended immediately in a victory once the Ettin was defeated and I couldn't see any rules saying otherwise. But logic suggested that the party should now have an EASIER time searching the place without the Ettins.

So we just continued playing, with goblins spewing out of the forest and the group splitting up to claim the search tokens (and then discovering all the trick Overlord cards I had in my hand.)

Was this right? Is this what you usually do? Should the group have just claimed the search tokens after winning the encounter? Should the search tokens have been lost or "expired" because the party didn't take chances during the encounter?

Is there anywhere in the rulebook that this is covered?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

At the end of First Blood, both Ettins were defeated but the Search Tokens remained unexplored. I was unsure of what to do. As far as I was concerned, the game ended immediately in a victory once the Ettin was defeated and I couldn't see any rules saying otherwise. But logic suggested that the party should now have an EASIER time searching the place without the Ettins.

So we just continued playing, with goblins spewing out of the forest and the group splitting up to claim the search tokens (and then discovering all the trick Overlord cards I had in my hand.)

Was this right? Is this what you usually do? Should the group have just claimed the search tokens after winning the encounter? Should the search tokens have been lost or "expired" because the party didn't take chances during the encounter?

Is there anywhere in the rulebook that this is covered?

Thank you.

When the victory conditions are met the quest ends immediately and any search tokens that the heroes did not have chance to uncover are lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul C has given the correct answer. But I thought I would give my opinion based on how I've seen players playing the game. I think you're thinking of the game more like an RPG than a board game. Although there are a fair few similarities between Descent 2e and an RPG, it is distinctly NOT an RPG. So players should be playing within a time frame with the knowledge that there is a distinct end point to that specific encounter. So once you have won or lost you don't get a chance to do things you chose not to do previously. As an example, when playing a quest that has Encounter 1 then Encounter 2 heroes don't recover damage between encounters. So before completing the first encounter they should consider whether it might be beneficial to take time to heal before making the winning move (or before the overlord ends it by winning somehow). It makes the game a whole lot more tactical for all players if they have to take into account if/when they should search, when they should heal and other similar things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:
As an example, when playing a quest that has Encounter 1 then Encounter 2 heroes don't recover damage between encounters. So before completing the first encounter they should consider whether it might be beneficial to take time to heal before making the winning move (or before the overlord ends it by winning somehow). It makes the game a whole lot more tactical for all players if they have to take into account if/when they should search, when they should heal and other similar things.

Bad example, because that's not correct. After the first encounter all heroes which are not knocked out DO recover all hitpoints and all fatigue points. All heroes which are knocked out may stand up for free before the start of the second encounter. That's what the rules tell you on Page 18.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All fatigue is recovered, but not all damage. Thats what the rules say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaermo wrote:
BertMcCloud wrote:
As an example, when playing a quest that has Encounter 1 then Encounter 2 heroes don't recover damage between encounters. So before completing the first encounter they should consider whether it might be beneficial to take time to heal before making the winning move (or before the overlord ends it by winning somehow). It makes the game a whole lot more tactical for all players if they have to take into account if/when they should search, when they should heal and other similar things.

Bad example, because that's not correct. After the first encounter all heroes which are not knocked out DO recover all hitpoints and all fatigue points. All heroes which are knocked out may stand up for free before the start of the second encounter. That's what the rules tell you on Page 18.

Heroes do not recover any health. They do recover their fatigue, and knocked out heroes may stand up without using an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite. Standing heroes retain their damage and recover all fatigue. Knocked out heroes perform a free stand up action, recovering hit points and fatigue as per that action. Conditions from the first encounter remain.

EDIT: Beaten to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaermo wrote:
BertMcCloud wrote:

Not quite. According to page 18 of the rule book:

When players transition from one encounter of a quest to another, they perform the following steps:
• Heroes keep all damage suffered during Encounter 1.
• Heroes recover all fatigue suffered during Encounter 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't even begin to count the number of ninjas that just flew by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, alright, alright!

Maybe I didn't read it carefully enough. It was late at night here in Germany! whistle

I read it again and all of you are perfectly right. My bad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.