5 Posts

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Keywords And Sweet Old Lady rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to the game and have found this rules forum very helpful in picking up rules that I have overlooked. But I was playing a game last night and was confused over a couple things.

Sweet Old Lady for Hastur's faction says that if she is comitted to a story alone, the opponent must pay 2 in order to commit any cards to the same story. The way this works when you are the "active" player is obvious, but what happens if you are defending a story with this card? Would the opponent still have to pay 2 as soon as Sweet Old Lady commits? Or since she would be committing second, would her text not apply as the opponent's cards are technically already committed before she is? If the first is correct, (as the card says nothing about on-your-turn or anything like that) what would happen to the cards that were committed if the opponent could not pay the 2 required? Would they be exhausted? or would they still be readied as they never could have committed to begin with even though they tried?

Also, a few cards in the secrets of Arkham pack have text such as "search for a card with the DAY keyword and put it into play." Now, are keywords any bolded word on the card? or must they be singled out at the beginning of the card? For instance, Albino Goat Spawn takes a wound if a DAY card is put into play. Since Day is on the Goat Spawn card, would it act as a keyword (it IS bolded)?

Thanks much! I'm enjoying the game quite a bit so far, and I'm trying my darndest to find effective Twilight Lodge combos with other factions but the bounce back nature of the cards seems a little difficult to synergize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Lundin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Congratulations for discovering Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game. It's an awesome game that I really can't get enough of.

Since the card says: "While Sweet Old Lady is committed to a story alone...", the effect only forces the opponent to pay 2 while Sweet Old Lady is the first character to commit, which can only happen on the card owner's turn. This also means that the opponent only has to pay to commit the first of his defending characters.

Albino Goat-Spawn is not a Day card. The card text merely refers to the keyword. For it to be a keyword, it has to be in the top left corner of the textbox. Compare it to this card: http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/uploads/1283615553/med_gall...

I can't give you any advice regarding the Silver Twilight, since I haven't bought that expansion yet.

Happy playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
I'm enjoying the game quite a bit so far, and I'm trying my darndest to find effective Twilight Lodge combos with other factions but the bounce back nature of the cards seems a little difficult to synergize.

I have similar questions about the Silver Twilight Lodge, so I hope some pointers come along here sketching out their uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks! That clears it up for me. I figured that's how it would work but I always like to have a concrete consensus for these kind of things. That way I don't feel biased in my setting the rules for others learning the game as well.

If anyone has any suggestions for Silver Twilight, feel free to respond with them here, though I imagine that part ought to be placed in a different sub-forum.

So far I am really enjoying the game. And just now experimenting with deck-building. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, this is the right place to talk about Silver Twilight or anything else about the game.

Silver Twilight is a fun faction to play. They can be a little more combo oriented, but even then it's much less than something like Magic.

The return to hand effects are usually used to get a defending enemy character out of the way. If they're no longer on the board, then they can't defend stories and you don't have to worry about their icons or any special text. Plus it slows down your opponent as they will have to pay to re-play them next turn.

Note however that it often does not pay to bounce an enemy character that has a strong "when played" effect. For instance, repeated bouncing your opponent's Deep One Rising is a sure path to trouble! However, bouncing your OWN character with a good "when played" effect can be quite nice (if you can afford it), so if you're looking to pair them with another faction look and see if you can find one with a strong effect you can use this on. Also, timing! If your opponent has nothing worth bouncing, it's often a good idea to keep Lord Jeffrey in hand and play him later.

While Silver Twilight is pretty good at Arcane and Investigation, they have the typical human faction weaknesses in Terror and Combat, so it may make sense to team them with a faction that's good at one or both of these. Alternately, you could decide to enhance their ability to run unopposed by joining them with the Syndicate so you can exhaust anything you can't bounce (this also lets you run Lodge Barkeep).

Since I don't know what packs you have, I'll assume for now that you only have the Silver Twilight box and cover a few key cards from there.

Lord Jeffrey Farrington is a key character with a great effect entering play and good icons. He'll be in nearly any ST deck.

Dedicated Butler is more like an event, you'll often play him, discard a card, and immediately sac him to retrieve something valuable from your discard pile - say a support or character you just lost. Make sure you're aware of the difference between "when played" and "enters play" abilities. "When played" only means when you play a card from hand paying the normal costs. If the card says "enters play" that means any time it goes into play no matter how it happens. So for instance because Lord Jeffrey's effect is "enters play" it still triggers when he's retrieved by Dedicated Butler.

Disgruntled Chef is a good low-priced combat character out of the box.

Failed Initiate is a bit of a gamble, but two icons for cost 1 is a deal if he stays out for any length of time.

High Wizard is sort of a backup Jeffrey, but more expensive.

Lodge Barkeep should go in any joint ST/Syndicate deck but otherwise his Steadfast keeps him from being useful.

Lodge Librarian is pretty good as you'll expect to win a lot of Arcane struggles.

Silver Twilight Enforcer is a nice bomb to drop on someone when you need to push through a story - few opponents will want to tangle with him.

In later packs there are a lot more of what I consider staple characters, for instance Protector of Secrets, Initiate of Huang Hun, and Master of the Myths.

For Events, Steal the Soul is fantastic. Secret Handshake a bit less so, but similar. Friendly to the Order gets better when there's more bounce, say after picking up Initiate of Huang Hun.

I'd also consider Brazier Enchantment to survive combat, and You Know too Much which gives your opponent one of two unpleasant effects. Keep in mind that they can't pick to discard unless they actually have enough cards to do so.

For supports, The Oubliettes can pay off nicely if your opponent is running a rush sort of deck with cheap guys. Crescent Blade is nice but only if your opponent tends to run Neutral characters. However, it does a nice job of taking out some fairly nasty ones they might choose. Unfortunately, the Rituals from the box aren't all that great by themselves. Magical Theorist from a later set helps but they still don't seem to be used that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.