King of Tokyo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Who gets to leave Tokyo in a 5-6 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyson Wozniak
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We were playing a 5 player game the other night and there was one monster in Tokyo city and another in Tokyo bay. They were both attacked and down to 2 health, so they both wanted out. Unless I missed it I don't think the rules specify who gets to come out.

So how do you decide? We did it by whoever said it first. Is there a better way to decide who gets to come out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Waldbauer
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both players can leave. If they do, the person entering Tokyo takes Tokyo proper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Wozniak
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Test
Aaahhhhhh, cool. I was thinking once there are 2 monsters on the board the only way there will be only one is once you drop back down to 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MitchellW wrote:
Both players can leave. If they do, the person entering Tokyo takes Tokyo proper.

Wrong: the one in tokyo takes precedence (he exits), the one in tokyo bay goes to tokyo and the newly arrived goes to tokyo bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
MitchellW wrote:

Wrong: the one in tokyo takes precedence (he exits), the one in tokyo bay goes to tokyo and the newly arrived goes to tokyo bay.

Um, no. Both monsters may leave. It's treated exactly like Tokyo proper, so both monsters have the opportunity to leave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
MitchellW wrote:

Totally wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guys, Garry is correct. Here is the "Example of a 5-player game" found on pg. 3 of the rules:
"Gigazaur is in Tokyo City, Kraken is in Tokyo Bay; The King, MekaDragon, and CyberBunny are the other monsters. MekaDragon rolls 4 (claws). Both Gigazaur and Kraken take 4 damage. Both abandon Tokyo and so MekaDragon takes control of Tokyo City and gains 1 (point). Tokyo Bay is unclaimed." (emphasis mine).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah, we played this rule wrong for a while until re-reading it because one player was totally locked in the bay and got smashed.

Since then it's been a little more fun for them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MitchellW wrote:

This correct. I will also add that if only the monster in Tokyo Proper leaves, then the one in Tokyo Bay move up to Tokyo Proper and the attacking monster moves to Tokyo Bay. This matters if the number of players drop below 5, then the monster in Tokyo Bay (the last one entered) is no longer in Tokyo since we are playing with less than 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lazza zaza
msg tools
mb
Nushura wrote:

I actually dont mind this rule. What we found difficult in a 6 player game we played is that it became a race for victory points. No one really got attacked.

I might try modifying to use your suggested rule, however, you can exit on health of 5 or less. What do people think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IelloGames wrote:
MitchellW wrote:

This correct. I will also add that if only the monster in Tokyo Proper leaves, then the one in Tokyo Bay move up to Tokyo Proper and the attacking monster moves to Tokyo Bay. This matters if the number of players drop below 5, then the monster in Tokyo Bay (the last one entered) is no longer in Tokyo since we are playing with less than 5 players.

Are you sure ? Rules don't state this anywhere. A monster in Tokyo Bay is in "Tokyo" but he cannot move to Tokyo City area in any way, he must leave and try to come back later. This matters if the number of monsters still alive goes down to 4, the one in Tokyo Bay (if any) leaves Tokyo.

For example, if the monster in Tokyo City dies because of a card, the monster in Tokyo Bay stays where he stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pikaraph wrote:
IelloGames wrote:
MitchellW wrote:

Are you sure ? Rules don't state this anywhere. A monster in Tokyo Bay is in "Tokyo" but he cannot move to Tokyo City area in any way, he must leave and try to come back later. This matters if the number of monsters still alive goes down to 4, the one in Tokyo Bay (if any) leaves Tokyo.

For example, if the monster in Tokyo City dies because of a card, the monster in Tokyo Bay stays where he stands.

I like my way better for LIFO but I will ask Master Garfield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Quint
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks like we have been playing this wrong. whoops.blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IelloGames wrote:
Pikaraph wrote:
IelloGames wrote:
MitchellW wrote:

I like my way better for LIFO but I will ask Master Garfield.

Hi, did you get some answer from the Master ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
We had difficulty with this rule as well but decided on our own that the Monster in the Bay moves to the City.

My reasoning was that not only does the monster in the Bay have seniority by already being on the board, but in keeping with the theme the monster in the Bay is physically closer to the city. If a monster in the Bay saw the City being vacated it would rush in and take advantage of the situation.

Works well and no penalty for being locked into the Bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.