Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While ostensibly a game of card drafting, 7 Wonders is really much more about deciding where to commit resources. Each turn, a player selects a card, passes the rest of the hand, then plays the card. The card will either generate points towards winning in some way or else enable future cards to be played. This is the crux of the decision: resources for the future or points now. Since virtually every card does one (or both) of these things, it is far less important which particular card one takes.

The scoring is reminiscent of Knizia, with some being interactive, some cards scoring multiple ways, etc. Like other games of this ilk, the complex scoring comes at a price as the last few minutes of the game will be spent doing addition to see who won. It plays very quickly and I could see playing this multiple times in a row. One of my favorite features is the wonder boards, which provide variable player powers, and nudge (but don't force) players in a certain strategic direction. It works well with almost any number of players because you are really only concerned with the players directly to your left and to your right. That said, with more players, the tactics of trying to "wheel" a certain card will not come into play.

There are a lot of euro-style mechanics neatly packed into this short game. It does have a very meaty feel considering it is essentially filler-length. The ability to accommodate so many players is a nice bonus as well. For its niche, I don't think any game has done this better, but for something deeper (or for thrilling drama) you will have to look elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I like this game for what it is. The expansions give it slightly longer legs and more strategy at the price of a slightly longer play time (10 extra minutes per expansion). That said after about a year my game group feels it has been "played out" and needs a breather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen

Smyrna
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's incredible you were able to get a year out of it. I think that speaks highly of the game!

I've enjoyed this myself.

In fact, its one of those rare games I believe a tournament structure could be set up for it. ... I just have a hard time with seating arrangements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.